emirates202
Topic Author

Skywards Platinum Confirmed By Clark

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Seems that EK is going to make a platinum level to match QF platinum.

Article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-frequ...=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

What do you think benefits an requirements will be? Hopefully no F lounge access, as it should be exclusive to F pax, and I/O.

-ek202
Fly Emirates, Hello Tomorrow

Quokkas

RE: Skywards Platinum Confirmed By Clark

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Quoting emirates202 (Thread starter):
Hopefully no F lounge access,

In the announcement made it was stated that where there is a difference in standards offered the higher standard would prevail. QF offers access to any Qantas Club, International First or Domestic Business Lounge to Platinum Tier regardless of class and the member may also bring a guest who must be travelling. If Skywards Platinum did not offer First Class Lounge access to Emirates own customers EK would be treating their own customers less favourably.

As it is Gold Tier members only have access to the Business Class Lounge in T3, with Silver Tier being relegated to the Lounge in T1. If Platinum Tier will not receive a benefit higher than Gold, what point would there be in aspiring to the higher tier?

If the I/O passengers get their knickers in a twist, they can always go to the VIP Lounge.  
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

emirates202
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 1):

I know you have been in the DXB F lounges, as I've read your tr's. It's so peaceful and calm. Think about how many platinums there will be. It will become so crowded. Maybe the C3 lounge will be bigger, and 3 F lounges will make it a little better, but I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe only give them access to the T1 F lounge?

Quokkas

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting emirates202 (Reply 2):
I know you have been in the DXB F lounges, as I've read your tr's.

Thank you for having read my TRs. I do admit that the exclusivity make the First Lounges attractive. But a constant refrain in recent times is how difficult it has become for passengers to retain Silver, let alone achieve Gold. The introduction of Saver and Flex fares and the associated switch to fare-based miles from actual miles flown has done a lot to reduce the overcrowding that was common in the Business Lounge. Also, the changes that saw the removal of guest access has reduced the pressure in that lounge.

But as to Platinum, it would depend on the Miles required to attain it. 25,000 for Silver and 50,000 for Gold is not very high unless one is travelling short haul. Maybe 100,000 miles? The thing to bear in mind is that the level would have to be competitive with other carriers, otherwise passengers may simply change their allegiance. Exclusivity is one thing: an empty lounge means that the airline is losing money.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

emirates202
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 3):

I guess all we can do is wait and see.