planeguy727
Topic Author

Mileage Run On *A Challenge

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 am

Greetings all. I've been looking at options for weekend mileage runs out of NYC on *A carriers. I thought I'd ask if anyone has been seeing any good values for the distance out there. I'm very non-specific on destinations, but would like to maximize the mileage return for the cost.

In the past I've done DEN, PVR, and even a spin to Europe (LHR and FRA), among others. I used to do these for a combo of mileage and working on my dissertation. Now that I'm done with school I still fancy the idea of an occasional weekend fly about. Can even add a Friday or Monday from time to time.

Thoughts or suggestions?
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

redzeppelin

RE: Mileage Run On *A Challenge

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

I'll kick it off. I didn't really do much research, but this seems like a good bit of mileage for the price:

US is selling JFK-ANC round-trip via PHX for $566 in November. The return flight is a red-eye on the ANC-PHX segment. That earns 9410 miles @ 6 cents per mile.

You can get the same price on UA via DEN, but earn fewer miles that way (~8000).

OR-- even better:

The nonstop UA flight EWR-HNL is showing a round-trip price of $561 around late november/early december. That trip would earn 9925 miles for ~5.65 cents per mile.

You can break it up and fly EWR-LAX-HNL-IAH-EWR for $574. That gets 10,314 miles for $574, or 5.57 cents per mile. It also gets a 777 on the HNL-IAH leg. I'm looking at a departure on Nov 30 and return Dec 1.

[Edited 2012-09-13 13:51:18]

redzeppelin

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Hmm. I thought that this thread might get more attention...
I tried a few more random destinations and dates, but can't find anything that approaches the miles per dollar that you can get from HNL. Is there a minimum number of miles you want/need to earn?

planeguy727
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Agreed. I am on target to earn US Gold again this year and since I'll already do beyond the minimum I thought about doing a couple of fly about trips to try for the next level.

After seeing this double preferred qualifying I am even more likely: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...te-qualifying-miles-on-us-airways/

redzeppelin

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:06 am

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 3):
After seeing this double preferred qualifying I am even more likely

Wow. So you could potentially get over 20,000 qualifying miles for making a $575 trip to HNL (assuming that the UA flights can be booked there for that price)? It says that you have to book through US, but I didn't see a requirement that you had to fly US-operated flights. Even then, you could get a similar deal with the turn to ANC. As a SkyTeam flier, I must say that I am a bit jealous.

planeguy727
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 am

I am thinking of doing the ANC turn. It's a great airport.

If I can find a decent price to Europe I might do a long weekend across the pond as well.