srbmod
Topic Author

?s About Some Odd Delta Flight Numbers

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm on DL 1192 (ATL-LAS) in a few days and like the aviation geek I am, I've been keeping track of the flight for a few weeks to see what gate it has been leaving from as well as the times. Recently, I started noticing that DL 1192 isn't operating on Mondays and there's a different flight (DL 2209) operating at the times that 1192 would normally operate and using 767s (767-300ERs seeing as last Monday and this Monday the flight is listed as departing from Concourse F.) instead of the 757-200. Last Monday, 1192 was used on a DTW-GRB-DTW turn (confirmed on not only FlightAware, but also Delta.com.) but went back to being used on the ATL-LAS service the following day. On Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays, the DL 2209 flight number is used on an MSP-SFO flight. It seems odd for DL to have that number used once a week on a flight and then go back to the normal flight number and equipment type and then use the number the rest of the week on a flight out of another hub. Is this a case of DL running short of flight numbers and reusing them throughout the system during the week? Would it have made more sense to retain the 1192 flight number on the Monday service even with the a/c type being different?