marcmcg
Topic Author

'Brussels Airlines Operated By Flybe'- What To Log

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi,

I'm due to fly with Brussels Airlines soon from TXL to MAN via BRU, however my second flight states 'Brussels Airlines Operated by Flybe' - could someone confirm which airline i should log this as flown with?

I had a similar situation last year where i flew MAN-ZRH with Swiss International but it was operated by Helvetic Airways, i still logged it as Swiss though since it was a Swiss flight number despite it being a Helvetic aircraft and crew. Was i correct in doing so?

My apologies as i'm sure it's been asked before and it's an obvious answer but i can't find a single answer anywhere.

Thanks,

Marc

reifel

RE: 'Brussels Airlines Operated By Flybe'- What To

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Well depends on what you consider important. You will have similar problems when flying LX, as flights are operated by "Swiss Intl", "Swiss European", "Edelweiss", "Helvetic" etc.
All Austrian flights are technically "Tyrolean" flights.
All regional flights of litterally all airlines are operated by other airlines, "Skywest", "Augsburg Airways", "Eurowings", whatever....

On flightmemory I do log the actual operating airline, as I want to know on which exact airline in flew, but I log the original flight number (on SN in your case).

However this in the end makes LH look like 10 different airlines in my statistic. If you really want to know who you paid money for and don't care about which airline operated the flight (as BE is not selling the mentioned flight themselves, SN is just leasing their planes incl crew), then log SN.

planejamie

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

I'd log this as Flybe since it will be flybe aircraft/crew. In the case where it's "Swiss Intl" "Swiss European" I'd just log it as "Swiss". Essentially all SN are doing are codesharing on the BE flights

CrimsonNL

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 am

Well there aren't any written rules for logging this. Personally I always log the actual operator of the flight and then put in a remark for which airline the flight is operating for (opf).

For example (From my log)

30APR10 HAM-CPH SK652 Cimber Air CRJ-200LR RMK: Opf. SAS
5NOV11 AMS-ZRH LX737 Edelweiss Air A320-214 RMK: Opf. Swiss

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

larshjort

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 3):
Well there aren't any written rules for logging this. Personally I always log the actual operator of the flight and then put in a remark for which airline the flight is operating for (opf).

For example (From my log)

30APR10 HAM-CPH SK652 Cimber Air CRJ-200LR RMK: Opf. SAS
5NOV11 AMS-ZRH LX737 Edelweiss Air A320-214 RMK: Opf. Swiss

Martijn

I log flights by the crew operating the flight. In May 2009? I flew DY ARN-CPH. The flight was operated by a Jettime wetlease. Jettime had leased the aircraft from Flylal and had the registration LY-AQV. I

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

marcmcg
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks guys,

I guess the general concesous so far is log the airline that is operating the flight, in this case BE.

Quoting planejamie (Reply 2):
Essentially all SN are doing are codesharing on the BE flights

Yeah if it was just a code share then i would log BE without hesistation. However in this case SN are wet leasing two aircraft from BE for two years, i believe they have been painted in the SN livery for the duration also.

CrimsonNL

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 4):

I guess this makes sense if the entire crew is with the airline you booked and only the aircraft is from another airline! I've never experienced this situation yet.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

blueflyer

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 am

Personally, I log the airline that is printed in bold on the boarding pass because that is who I buy the ticket from, and who I ultimately hold liable for the performance of the flight. I do make a note however (the tool I use allows for comments) that the flight was operated by a different carrier.

Quoting planejamie (Reply 2):
Essentially all SN are doing are codesharing on the BE flights

Not so. If Brussels Airlines was code-sharing on flybe, flybe would dictate the schedule and you'd be able to book the flights directly from them, but neither is true in this case. These flights are planned and scheduled by Brussels Airlines, but operated by someone else.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

airevents

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm

I would log Brussels Airlines operated by Flybe in this case.
www.airevents.com

n729pa

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Good question MarcMcg...this is something I've wondered myself.

When I flew United Express some years ago I put it was United Express (North Pacific Airways) or with Qantaslink (Sunstate Airlines)

I'll log it as Flybe too as they could be operating that flight for a number of other airlines as well as Brussels AL

L1011

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 am

I'm wondering the same thing. A couple of days ago, I flew on a flight with a Lufthansa flight number, operated by BMI, in BMI colors, with a Lufthansa interior. What would I log as the airline in my flight records?

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

blueflyer

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting n729pa (Reply 9):
I'll log it as Flybe too as they could be operating that flight for a number of other airlines as well as Brussels AL

They're not. This is a Brussels Airlines flight operated by flybe. In fact, if you check the destinations map on flybe's web site, you won't find BRU at all, because all the flybe flights out of the airport are operated for Brussels Airlines exclusively and are not sold by flybe. Flybe provides the aircraft and the crew, Brussels Airlines sets the schedule and sells the tickets.

Quoting L1011 (Reply 10):
What would I log as the airline in my flight records?

It's more or less the same situation. The choice is yours, really.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 11):
Flybe provides the aircraft and the crew, Brussels Airlines sets the schedule and sells the tickets.

If I'm understanding this correctly then this is BE operating as an American-style regional. In which case I would use Brussels Airlines.

When flying UAex, DLcon or USex I don't even note that it wasn't a mainline flight. It's United, Delta or US Airways to me. After all, when I look back over it I will know that the CR2 I flew wasn't operated by mainline.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

YVRLTN

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:50 am

I log it by the owner of the actual aircraft, so BE. The owner of registration G-JExx whatever isnt SN, its BE.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
When flying UAex, DLcon or USex I don't even note that it wasn't a mainline flight. It's United, Delta or US Airways to me

I would log it as SkyWest, Comair, Pinnacle etc personally.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

KGRB

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 3):
Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 13):

I do the same. For example I'm flying on DL 5323 today, ATL-ATW. I will log it as: 'ASQ 5323' and in the notes section, I will write, "Operated by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., d/b/a Delta Connection."
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

MANmatt

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting marcmcg (Thread starter):
I'm due to fly with Brussels Airlines soon from TXL to MAN via BRU, however my second flight states 'Brussels Airlines Operated by Flybe' - could someone confirm which airline i should log this as flown with?

If you think that is confusing to decide which airline to log, this week I flew LX391 MAN-ZRH which is marketed by LX, the aircraft was however a Contactair F100 leased to OLT Express! Now to me I wouldn't even entertain the idea of changing the flight code to that of OLT Express in my log as the flight number booked was LX391, it just so happened that they used a partner airline to operate the flight who had in turn leased out the aircraft to another company. I have, however, made a note a the bottom of this entry on my flight memory log with such info!