ckfred
Topic Author

Elite Security Lines At ORD

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

On October 5, I learned that passengers with gold status on AA can no longer use the elite security line in Terminal 3. It's strictly first class, executive platinum, and platinum.

What I gather is that one lane is for TSA Pre passengers (and there aren't a lot of them), and the rest of the elites use the other line. So, to decrease the line for the non TSA Pre lane, gold is being excluded.

Is this being done at other airports and other carriers? I was in Boston yesterday, and the elite line for the AA side of Terminal B still has all levels of AAdvantage elites.

Josh32121

RE: Elite Security Lines At ORD

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Quoting ckfred (Thread starter):
Is this being done at other airports and other carriers? I was in Boston yesterday, and the elite line for the AA side of Terminal B still has all levels of AAdvantage elites.

Silver Medallions on Delta (the equivalent tier to AA's Gold) have never been able to use the elite security lanes at most hub and larger stations (ATL, for sure) for at least the last few years. Some smaller stations (PHL, for example) still lets Silver Medallions in along with other SkyPriority passengers (which includes Gold, Platinum, Diamond Medallions and first class).

ckfred
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting Josh32121 (Reply 1):
Silver Medallions on Delta (the equivalent tier to AA's Gold) have never been able to use the elite security lanes at most hub and larger stations (ATL, for sure) for at least the last few years. Some smaller stations (PHL, for example) still lets Silver Medallions in along with other SkyPriority passengers (which includes Gold, Platinum, Diamond Medallions and first class).

AA has marketed elite AAdvantage of any level as having access to first-class security lines at any airport with elite lines. Between my wife and I, we've used them at BOS, ORD, PIT, PHL, PHX, LAS, SFO, STL, and DFW. About the only major airports that don't have elite lines are ATL (AA and UA basically have their own checkpoint for 7 gates) and MCO. The airport must think that everyone coming in are families with no road warriors, because there are no elite lines anywhere.

NMORD

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Ah, this would explain the much smaller line there this morning, and I'm totally on board with this. I always had a gripe with the setup (not with the Golds) since there were only two lanes to begin with at this particular checkpoint. The TSA/airport/whoever took one for PreCheck, leaving only one lane for all the other elites. During high-traffic times the non-PreCheck line would get rather long.

[Edited 2012-10-15 11:40:49]

IrishAyes

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

I know at ORD, as a UA elite flier, anyone with Silver status and above can use the Premier lines at T1. However, because pretty much everyone has elite status these days, sometimes I just go all the way to the far left side of T1, or enter through T2, to avoid the long lines at other parts of the terminal.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

neveragain

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 4):
However, because pretty much everyone has elite status these days,

Yes, I'd really like to get a breakdown not just by share of FF members or revenues, but share of passengers enplaned on an average day. I can't imagine why anyone flying 25k per year living in a big market would pay extra to fly AA, DL, UA, or US, but I guess a lot do.

SJUSXM

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

If you saw more people take advantage of the TSA pre-check, which I believe was offered to AA elites, it would balance things out again. I would have thought more people would be doing it, especially Plats and ExecPlats. I got it and it's the greatest thing since ever. I'll walk from A-East to C at PHL to take advantage of it.
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

planeguy727

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 6):
If you saw more people take advantage of the TSA pre-check

Remember that it's not a guarantee to quicker screening.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...