rsrik
Topic Author

Delta - Two Different Seats On The Same Flight Num

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:20 am

Hi All

I am flying DL in Jan from BOM - ATL. This flight involves a stop and a Plane change in AMS. So, effectively it is BOM - AMS - ATL. Regardless of the plane change, the flight number remains the same throughout - DL 603.

On the DL website, while choosing seats, DL is making me choose twice, from BOM - AMS and AMS - ATL. I found this rather strange. If the flight number is the same, DL should not be allowing me to choose two different seats, I'd assume. I would expect to receive a single boarding pass for the flight through to ATL.

Or, am I mistaken... ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sri

asqx

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:25 am

Even if it's the same flight number you will get two boarding passes, even if the seat assignment is the same, plus a notification card about the fact that you will have to change plane somewhere along the line. The second boarding pass will say THROUGH PASSENGER or something to that effect on the bottom, I never pay too much attention to them at work. Besides, if the flight changes equipment types you would need to select seats on each segment as the same seat may not even exist on both segments.

rsrik
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:03 am

Quoting asqx (Reply 1):
Even if it's the same flight number you will get two boarding passes

Hi, Thanks for this insight. I have not traveled in a flight that requires a plane change, but, with the same flight number. I did not know that there are 2 boarding passes involved.
So, I might as well change seats from one leg to another. Even though MUM - AMS and AMS - ATL are both on A333, I guess I will try the view from 1A on one leg and 1K on the other  .

Thanks again for your clarification.

Coal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am

Quoting rsrik (Thread starter):
On the DL website, while choosing seats, DL is making me choose twice
This flight involves a stop and a Plane change

You sort of answered your own question, didn't you?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

rsrik
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 3):
You sort of answered your own question, didn't you?

Hi - I agree, it certainly looks that way. But, I was of the opinion that this sort of picking two seats is not possible since the Flight number is the same. And, until asqx explained to me, I did not realize there will be 2 boarding passes.

You know what's interesting - last night, I had sent a mail to Delta, asking whether it is really OK to choose different seats on this flight. They replied this morning saying 'No'.

asqx

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Trust me, as a Delta gate agent you CAN have different seats on a through flight and it doesn't even have to be a plane swap. As long as the plane lands and people get off and on you can have different seats on different legs. In fact, often times it happens simply because someone has already booked a ticket on the second portion and the same seat isn't available on both legs. Also, on thru flights sometimes the only seats left that are the same on both legs are middle seats where as if the seats are split between legs often times at least one if not both segments can be switched to something more desirable.

If you want the same seat on both legs, ok fine. But if you want different seats, especially with a plane swap, go for it. No one at the airport or on the plane is going to hassle you for it and the computer's not going to change you back (baring an equipment change or any disability seating issues).

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 pm

On the DL website, while choosing seats, DL is making me choose twice,

That's really interesting, my girlfriend is flying on DL16 from Sydney to Atlanta (via LAX) and when choosing seats there is only one map, SYD-ATL (it's almost as if the stop in LAX doesn't exist).

I wonder what the reason for this discrepancy is? I always thought it made more sense to have to maps to better accomodate SYD-LAX and LAX-ATL passengers around the continuing passengers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

DTWLAX

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting rsrik (Reply 2):
Even though MUM - AMS and AMS - ATL are both on A333, I guess I will try the view from 1A on one leg and 1K on the other

DL is flying the A333 on the AMS-BOM-AMS route? Are you sure?
I think it will be the A332 if not the 767.

asqx

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:03 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 6):
That's really interesting, my girlfriend is flying on DL16 from Sydney to Atlanta (via LAX) and when choosing seats there is only one map, SYD-ATL (it's almost as if the stop in LAX doesn't exist).

I wonder what the reason for this discrepancy is? I always thought it made more sense to have to maps to better accomodate SYD-LAX and LAX-ATL passengers around the continuing passengers

Because the BOM-AMS-ATL is published as a scheduled aircraft change in AMS where as SYD-ATL is scheduled as the same plane (even though all passengers disembark in LAX and clear US Immigration and Customs).

Seats can be assigned differently for each segment, however since it's sold as a through flight without an aircraft change only an agent will have the ability to look at the seat map for each segment and then assign the seats seperately.

rsrik
Topic Author

RE: Delta - Two Different Seats On The Same Flight

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:35 am

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 7):
I think it will be the A332 if not the 767.

Hi, This is what the Itinerary says, in 2 places.
1. In the general itinerary summary, when I click the "DL 603" hyperlink, a small panel pops open with miscellaneous flight information, which says the plane is A330-300.
2. While choosing seats, the seat map loaded is that of A330-300.

So, I guess it will be an A333.

I will take an A332 as well, I don't mind  

But, I really hope it will not be the 767, as I am not very sure about the seats and the PTV on those, and how they compare to A33x.

Thanks

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 am

Quoting asqx (Reply 8):
Because the BOM-AMS-ATL is published as a scheduled aircraft change in AMS where as SYD-ATL is scheduled as the same plane

That makes sense now. Do you know if DL still issue two boarding passes even though it is a "same plane" service?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aloges

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Quoting asqx (Reply 1):
Besides, if the flight changes equipment types you would need to select seats on each segment as the same seat may not even exist on both segments.

How's this for a crazy example?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/UA51.png

That's UA 51 FRA-EWR-CLE with a change from a 772 to a 735 in EWR. FRA-EWR is sold as LH 7603, EWR-CLE is sold as LH 7804.   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

For some reason those sorts of routes are really common in the USA where a domestic flight is tagged onto an international flight even though they have no apparent relationship. I don't know why they don't just call a spade a spade and use two different flight numbers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

asqx

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 10):
That makes sense now. Do you know if DL still issue two boarding passes even though it is a "same plane" service?

As long as the seat is the same probably not and the boarding pass will say SYD-ATL. At least that's how it works for domestic flights. It has been such a long time since I had an international through flight that wasn't a plane change that I can't remember for certain if that holds true for international.

Vasu

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
For some reason those sorts of routes are really common in the USA where a domestic flight is tagged onto an international flight even though they have no apparent relationship

So, why is this then? I'm confused...

NWADTWE16

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am

THRU FLIGHTS are for marketing..they allow airlines to show 'DIRECT' which doesnt mean NONSTOP service between two city pairs. An example would be DTWMNL used to be NW71. It appears to be nonstop but its actually DTW-NGO-MNL all NW71 and at the time it was and still as Delta is a 744 all the way. Anytime a flight is Direct and not Nonstop a plane change is possible and in my experience likely LOL. I advise passengers to expect it just so they dont become complacent. If the airline is aware of aircraft change ahead of time and/or the continued flight (last leg) is a different scheduled aircraft type you could have two seats for obvious reasons (seat config).

reifel

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 pm

There are two reasons for this. The first one, is that some airlines run out of flight numbers, but this is not exactly true.
The second one is indeed a marketing thing. In GDS these flight will appear higher than "connecting" flights, as officially these are direct flights ("real" direct flights make just a short hop somewhere, and part of passengers get off/on, others remain on board, and there you go).

Rest has been said above. De facto it's just a regular connecting flight you've booked, and you will be treated as such (two boarding passes etc).