HALFA
Topic Author

BA Cancelled Our Flights. Can I Be Compensated?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I am currently in Brazil and will fly with a friend to LHR tonight on BA. While checking in for the flight on BA's website, a window appeared notifying me that my BA flight from LHR to JFK in November has been cancelled. In addition, my friend's return BA flight from LHR to GIG has also been cancelled! BA didn't even send me an email to let me know of the flight cancellations and our rebooking! I have been rebooked on an earlier flight leaving on the same day to JFK while my friend has been rebooked on the nonstop to GIG on the following day, which will require an additional day of hotel expense in London, as well as rebooking his TAM flight from GIG to CNF and paying any fare difference and change fees. The BA and JJ flights were booked on seperate itineraries.
Are we entitled to any type of compensation, and if so, how should I go about seeking it? This is actually going to add several hundred dollars to the cost of our trip, and I'm a little perturbed that they didn't even notify me of the changes!
Any advice is appreciated.

Aloha,
HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

azstar

RE: BA Cancelled Our Flights. Can I Be Compensated

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:08 pm

They are not likely to cover your hotel costs, or the cost of changing a flight you booked as a separate trip. If your friend had been booked on a single ticket, BA would have absorbed any cost associated with the connecting flights. When there is an unacceptable schedule change you can get a refund, or you can call them and tell them the change is unacceptable and to change you to a different airline with a schedule closer to your original one. That works sometimes. Good luck.

LondonCity

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:09 pm

As both cancelled flights are departing an EU airport, you are entitled to compensation under EU passenger rights. But if the cancellation is for commercial reasons then an airline need only give 7 days notice to avoid paying compensation.

Details from the UK's CAA website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2211&pageid=12716

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:21 pm

In reality probably not. Your better bet is claiming the additional expenses on your travel insurance.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

HALFA
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Thank you for the link Londoncity, that was helpful. I realize that my friend is probably out of luck with being compensated for his TAM flight changes, but I would think that BA should cover the cost of an additional hotel night at LHR in light of the fact that they are not giving him any alternative to return to Brazil on the same day as was originally scheduled.

debonair

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Quoting HALFA (Thread starter):
Any advice is appreciated.

There are other possibilities as well...

While checking in for the flight on BA's website, a window appeared notifying me that my BA flight from LHR to JFK in November has been cancelled.

First, only if your flight is cancelled less than 14 days prior the original departure date you are entitled for compensation!

I have been rebooked on an earlier flight leaving on the same day to JFK while my friend has been rebooked on the nonstop to GIG on the following day, which will require an additional day of hotel expense in London, as well as rebooking his TAM flight from GIG to CNF and paying any fare difference and change fees. The BA and JJ flights were booked on seperate itineraries.

Stop! This is much more a suggestion by BA- ask for a rebooking on any other one-world carrier at the same date/time (like LHR-MAD-GRU on IBERIA) OR ask for a rebooking to an earlier date- in this case you might need an accommodation in GRU, but you don't have to rebook the TAM flight to CNF! Same for your JFK flight- ask for any alternative at the same time, maybe with AA via DFW or AB via DUS... BA was in the past very flexible- as long as all rebookings are requested in line with OW members!

jwhite9185

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 pm

@mytripreport

HALFA
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Thank you Jwhite, that was very helpful!

Aloha,
HALFA

airportugal310

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 4):
but I would think that BA should cover the cost of an additional hotel night at LHR in light of the fact that they are not giving him any alternative to return to Brazil on the same day as was originally scheduled.

A friend of mine very recently had his VCE-LIS-MIA flights on TP rescheduled which then gave him a 22hr layover instead of 2hrs!

He simply called TP, explained the situation, and they put him up in a hotel in Lisbon. Which he said was a VERY nice place, too...

A phone call and a good attitude will probably save the day  
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

spiritair97

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 5):

Just asking, but what's with the hostility toward the poster? He simply asked a question.

Also, why is it that only if your flight is cancelled less than 14 days prior that you are entitled to compensation? Either way, you have to rebook and/or will have scheduling issues?