ahdharia
Topic Author

Weird Timing Of DL295/296?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Hello,
I was supposed to be on DL295 ATL-NRT a few days ago, however I re-routed, as the flight was delayed 3 hours. What I noticed is that last weekend the timings of DL295 changed to depart ATL at 1pm however the DL296 flight from NRT is scheduled to arrive at 2:35pm. So with that timing it leads to me to believe that they are using 2 747's on that route.

However recently each DL295 flight has been leaving late, awaiting the DL296 so they seem to be using the same 747. So my question is did Delta incorrectly time DL295 or is there some other reason why they are only using 1 747??

I am sure this must be costing them some good money as each DL295 flight lately is arriving in NRT later than most connections causing a alot of people to either miss connections or re-route on them different flights.

MSPNWA

RE: Weird Timing Of DL295/296?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting ahdharia (Thread starter):
So with that timing it leads to me to believe that they are using 2 747's on that route.

Under normal operations they are using a second 747. The previous day's inbound stays overnight in ATL and operates #295 the next day.

Quoting ahdharia (Thread starter):
However recently each DL295 flight has been leaving late, awaiting the DL296 so they seem to be using the same 747. So my question is did Delta incorrectly time DL295 or is there some other reason why they are only using 1 747??

I see what you're talking about here. Like on OCT. 29 & 30 it appears that there were two days in a row where the inbound to ATL immediately turned back to NRT, greatly delaying flight #295. Why I'm not sure. I don't know if it's a mechanical issue or what.

spiritair97

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:28 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 1):

Does the aircraft come in from JFK? October 29th and 30th were when Sandy hit us hard and shut down all of our airports in thr Northeast. Could the second aircraft have had some ussues due to the storm and DL only had one aircraft availible?

jkrugman22

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 pm

On this flight today....1hr delay (so far).

MSPNWA

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 2):
Does the aircraft come in from JFK? October 29th and 30th were when Sandy hit us hard and shut down all of our airports in thr Northeast. Could the second aircraft have had some ussues due to the storm and DL only had one aircraft availible?

The 747s rotate through NRT, and all NRT-ATL flights operated normally. But maybe Sandy and the cancellations of the JFK-NRT flights affected operations for those two days. However that wouldn't explain the problems described by the OP, as those would have pre-Sandy. So I'm not sure what is going on.

Quoting jkrugman22 (Reply 3):
On this flight today....1hr delay (so far).

FlightAware has two separate registrations operating 295/296 today, so it looks like you ran into a more "normal" delay.