lax888
Topic Author

Transit At NRT

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello there

Just wanted to know how easy it is to transit from an international flight to another international flight at NRT T1 south? Also are there some interesting things to do at NRT? Thanks.

n729pa

RE: Transit At NRT

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Sorry I wish I could say I know the answer (not been to NRT), but their website is full of useful maps and information that may help. But I would image it would be very easy, airport/railway stations in Japan are multilingual and well designed.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/index_t1.html

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/connect/index.html - gives you all the transfer info you'll need

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/fun/index.html gives details of vantage points around the airport.

Hoping to make it to TYO next year so I would be interested to know how you get on. Have a great trip

LAXintl

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Rather easy -

You deplane on the top level.

1) Follow the transfer signs.
2) Clear security
3) Take escalator back down to departure level
4) Walk to your gate (or airline lounge if applicable)

Security line can be hit or miss. Depending on how many simultaneous flights arrive.

Can accomplish the above in as little as 5-mins to well over 30 depending on the crowds.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DocGATTACA

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:42 am

It's dead easy. Exactly as described by LAXintl.

There can be a bottle neck at security but usually I'm through in 5-10min.

Not a huge amount to do there (other than shopping and eating), but plenty of scope for watching heavies coming and going.

If you have the opportunity, the ANA lounge one floor down from the departure level is very relaxing. Only drawback is there are no windows. The UA lounge has nice views but it can be very crowded.

Have fun.

PHX787

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Security line can be hit or miss. Depending on how many simultaneous flights arrive.

If it is DL, it's usually quite quick. Takes me about 20 minutes to get through normal customs, and friends have said it takes about 20-30 minutes to get through all of the jazz. The Japanese are quite efficient at NRT.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

lax888
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks you all for your help.

Does anyone know if there is a priority lane for premium passengers or short connections? My connecting time is 1h45min. Let's say if my flight is delayed, would 45min still be sufficient? When checking the punctuality of my flight it shows that delays of an hour happen at least 1-2 a week.
I guess with a delay my airline might be able to help me through security etc?
The next flight would only leave in 7h and whilst I have lounge access to the ANA Lounge I would not really want to hang around for 7h and then arrive after midnight at my destination...

LAXintl

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm

There are more than one security checkpoint so its a bit dependent on what gate your aircraft parks at.
The larger one at the end of the moving walkways yes has a priority line that is policed by United agents it seems. The smaller checkpoints don't have a priority line.

In general its not too bad, but its really dependent on if 3-4 aircraft arrive almost simultaneously dumping a 1,000 people in the concourse.
But it if helps, I have several times done scheduled 1:30'ish connections on both UA & NH and managed a brief stop at the lounge each time.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lax888
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):

There are more than one security checkpoint so its a bit dependent on what gate your aircraft parks at.
The larger one at the end of the moving walkways yes has a priority line that is policed by United agents it seems. The smaller checkpoints don't have a priority line.

Thanks a lot LAXintl! I will keep this in mind if there is a long queue.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):
In general its not too bad, but its really dependent on if 3-4 aircraft arrive almost simultaneously dumping a 1,000 people in the concourse.
But it if helps, I have several times done scheduled 1:30'ish connections on both UA & NH and managed a brief stop at the lounge each time.

Thanks. Am arriving on LX at 8.55AM. Around that time there are quite a few arrivals though from *A (LH 380, OS 772, VS 343 and some other long haul flights.) Hoping that things will go smoothly.