Vasu
Topic Author

Norwegian (DY) Name Issue?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey,

Basically I booked two tickets on DY's inaugural flight from LGW to NCE next April...

During the booking, I had the option to select passengers as "male" and "female", though I don't remember at any point that they gave me the chance to select "Mrs, Miss etc." for the female passenger.

I downloaded Norwegian's iPhone app and entered my reservation - they are now displaying my girlfriend as "Mrs xxx xxx". Is this something to worry about? (The incorrect name that is, not the possibility that she secretly got married). Do I need to change it? If so, how?

Birdwatching

RE: Norwegian (DY) Name Issue?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:08 pm

I don't really think it makes a difference. The gender is included in reservations to calculate weight and balance (I believe females are calculated a bit lighter) and in certain international flights the passenger data has to be forwarded to the authorities, including the gender.
But the differentiation within the gender, for all I know it is totally irrelevant. Mrs, miss, ms, mr, dr, ... I have seen airlines where you can select things like lord and mistress and such. I don't even think it appears in your eticket or your boarding pass which will only read SMITH / JANEMRS or something. The "Miss" and such are used in email communication so they can address you right. I'd guess some doctors throw a fit if you don't address them with "Dr".

But all of this is just my good guess and I take no responsibility if the gate agent won't let your gf board unless she marries you on the spot  
Now that would be a story to tell the kids.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

RussianJet

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
The gender is included in reservations to calculate weight and balance (I believe females are calculated a bit lighter)

Crikey, they obviously haven't seen some of the women that I saw in the pub last night....

Quoting Vasu (Thread starter):
Mrs xxx xxx". Is this something to worry about?

No problem at all. As long as her actual name is correct you can relax.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Airstud

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
The gender is included in reservations to calculate weight and balance (I believe females are calculated a bit lighter)

What, automatically? Does not make sense. Some chicks are fat (or tall, for that matter); and some dudes are short or just skinny and light-like.
Pancakes are delicious.

dc9northwest

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 3):
What, automatically? Does not make sense. Some chicks are fat (or tall, for that matter); and some dudes are short or just skinny and light-like.

It does make sense, statistically speaking. Of course, you can't apply statistics to a particular person.

LN-KGL

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 pm

I favour Birdwatching's proposal - come on Vasu, get down on your knee and propose to be on the safe side   

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 am

I'll assume that your name is John Smith and hers is Jane Doe...

If the ticket refers to Mr John Smith and Mrs Jane Doe, then you're fine. It is a bit of an oversight on the part of whoever designed DY's res system, but doesn't mean anything.

If, however, they refer to Mr and Mrs Smith then you might want to check it out to be safe.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Vasu
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 6):
I'll assume that your name is John Smith and hers is Jane Doe...

Yes, should be fine then... I'm really surprised that this hasn't been brought up on here before though, if it is the design of the DY booking system!