ogshelly
Topic Author

UAL Not Accruing Actual Milage In Embraer Flights

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 am

The flight time IAH-VSA or IAH-CME is around 2:30 hrs, if we calculate 500 MPH, milage traveled is 1,250 miles. We are credited only 800 miles though (sometimes more, depending upon the Elite status). The straight line distance between IAH and VSA is 830 miles, and 799 to CME. Why if the Embraer 145, not certified to fly above the sea that force the A/C to follow the Gulf of Mexico's coastline, makes us flight one extra hour, whereas we are not credited those extra 500 miles? From IAH, a 737-300 can make the trip in just 1:30 hrs. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Cubsrule

RE: UAL Not Accruing Actual Milage In Embraer Flig

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 am

Quoting ogshelly (Thread starter):
The flight time IAH-VSA or IAH-CME is around 2:30 hrs, if we calculate 500 MPH, milage traveled is 1,250 miles.

No flight that length averages 500 miles per hour.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ogshelly
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):

It was hypothetical, what speed do you estimate as average? Thanks Cubsrule!

roseflyer

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 am

United gives you the miles of the direct route between two cities. You might be really mad to find out that if you fly a one-stop route with the same flight number, you get the miles for a nonstop flight between the origin and destination. For example, if you book SEA-IAD-FRA you'd expect 6386 miles (SEA-IAD is 2306 and IAD-FRA is 4080), however UA only gives you the nonstop distance of 5108 miles.

Why if the Embraer 145, not certified to fly above the sea that force the A/C to follow the Gulf of Mexico's coastline, makes us flight one extra hour, whereas we are not credited those extra 500 miles? From IAH, a 737-300 can make the trip in just 1:30 hrs.

The E145 is not overwater equipped. There aren't life jackets and rafts, which means it has to stay within a specific distance of land. A 737 that is overwater equipped can fly more direct. This is UA and their contract carrier saving money by not equipping their airplanes for overwater operations. In this case you fly about 250 more miles.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

roseflyer

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:36 am

Quoting ogshelly (Reply 2):
Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):

It was hypothetical, what speed do you estimate as average? Thanks Cubsrule!

You can go to flightaware and see the filed flight plan distance and the direct distance. Your average speed would be in the 400s.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

cosyr

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 am

Are you also considering gate to gate? Taxi time would really drag down your avg speed.

PHLapproach

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 am

As RoseFlyer pointed out if has to due to overwater equipment onboard the aircraft or rather lack of. Our aircraft follow the '50 mile rule'. We can never be from a suitable piece of land by more than 50 miles. Sometimes on the WOLDE arrival from the E/SE side of IAH coming over the MSY area. Houston Center controllers may try to take our flights 70 miles or so off the coast due to thunderstorms on the coast near the Gavleston area and down to Corpus and then up. So it's a concern in that area and across that stretch of Gulf you mentioned heading to any airport we serve south of VER on the coast.

neveragain

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 am

Why if the Embraer 145, not certified to fly above the sea that force the A/C to follow the Gulf of Mexico's coastline, makes us flight one extra hour, whereas we are not credited those extra 500 miles?

Read the MileagePlus terms and conditions (or the terms and conditions of any mileage program).

What you're really arguing for (although you may not realize it) is that mileage credited to your account should be the actual miles flown, which will vary every day for every route for every flight. Are you suggesting that it makes financial sense (or, probably a bigger hurdle, administrative sense) to implement such a policy?

If you are, God help the FT crowd, as they'll waste a lot of time trying to be credited 4 miles per their GPS versus what MP credits them.

akelley728

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 am

You realize that every airline does this, not just United? Mileage credited is a straight line between the two points, or as the saying goes, the distance "as the bird flys".

usxguy

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 am

Um... not factually true.

I have flown JNU-ANC-ORD and earned the miles and bonus points for those actual legs. Same with JNU-SEA-FLL, JNU-SEA-LAX-ATL-SJU, etc.

And this is on Alaska Airlines and Delta SkyPesos.
xx

neveragain

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 am

Quoting usxguy (Reply 9):
I have flown JNU-ANC-ORD and earned the miles and bonus points for those actual legs. Same with JNU-SEA-FLL, JNU-SEA-LAX-ATL-SJU, etc.

(I think) the OP's point is that if the flight route diverges substantially from the great circle route than one should receive that benefit in additional miles. I doubt AS does this, as you seem to claim here. (And why would they, for the reasons I tried to explain above?)

My explanation for why OP would care about this:

(1) He has a philosophical disagreement with standard FFP terms and conditions

(2) He doesn't like flying on ERJs and paying really high fares (I don't blame him)

(3) He is on some threshold of EQMs and has realized, "Aw shucks, if only UA gave me miles for the inefficient routing they have to fly because of the fleet decisions they have made on the route"

I suspect it's more (2) and (3).

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Once while flying BNA-ORD we took the scenic route and overflew TUL and OMA in order to avoid a storm. By your logic I should have gotten something like 1200 miles for that flight.

News Flash: You NEVER fly only the straight-line distance between two points.

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting usxguy (Reply 9):
Um... not factually true.

And this is on Alaska Airlines and Delta SkyPesos.

Um... was it a thru-flight? Didn't think so.