RIX
Topic Author

Being Kicked From First To Coach - How Usual?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Just happened to me ("welcome to the club", anyone   ?). I was told, they needed to use my seat so it couldn't be occupied (didn't get all the details, it was in huge rush, "I must close the door" - but they definitely didn't give it to some other passenger). Just curious if it's any "normal" or rather "extraordinary"...

CZ346

RE: Being Kicked From First To Coach - How Usual?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm

What airline were you on? What was the route? Were you full fare or reward travel (or even non-rev?)

zrs70

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Of course it isn't normal. But it does and can happen for a variety of reasons.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

RWA380

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 pm

I had something similar happen to me flying DL HNL-LAX. At the last minute before departure, a gate agent came into the cabin, and nicely and quietly asked me to move into coach, she had my new boarding pass in her hand, and had one of the flight attendants bring my jacket and bag to my middle seat for the 5 1/2 hour journey to LAX, I even had my first cocktail in hand when this transpired, which they took from me immediately. In all fairness, I was flying on an AD100 and had been upgraded at the gate after most everyone else had boarded, I do not begrudge DL for doing it, but it did happen and was rather embarrassing.

I did have a paid customer once who was downgraded to business from first when I was a travel agent. He called me the minute his plane landed, after tracking me down at the Mauna Lani hotel on the big Island while I was enjoying sleeping in, and having a relaxing weekend in Kona, I got up and went into our Kona office to find him an alternate way home.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

CZ346

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 3):

Did they give you a reason? I'm rather used to ULH flights vs. short hops like that so whats going through my head is getting bumped from J on a 16h flight...

817Dreamliiner

Never heard of this happening before, strange though. They must have had a good reason to do so, if it was me I would have demanded an explanation.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

iahcsr

Most likely the forward FA jump seat was out of service... If so the FA MUST sit as near the door as possible for T/O and landing. Also possible the seat itself was broken and had to remain empty.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

mayor

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Had it happen to me once, while non-revving from SHV to ORD......the flight went SHV-LIT-STL-ORD and I think it happened at STL. Thank god there was a seat left in coach, otherwise I would have had to get off the flight.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

kgaiflyer

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Quoting RIX (Thread starter):
Just happened to me ("welcome to the club", anyone ?). I was told, they needed to use my seat so it couldn't be occupied (didn't get all the details, it was in huge rush, "I must close the door" - but they definitely didn't give it to some other passenger). Just curious if it's any "normal" or rather "extraordinary"...

Had just the opposite happen on a SFO-YYC OO CR7. The back was packed and there was a lot of luggage. So the lead FA pleaded with us to move as far forward as we could.

Seems win-win to me  

slider

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Air marshal issue? That might explain the agent's somewhat dodgy answer.

Maverick623

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting RIX (Thread starter):
Just curious if it's any "normal" or rather "extraordinary"..

It's not very common, but it's certainly not unheard of.

The most common cause is the seat being broken, followed by a downgrade to a plane with less seats in F. Also, while very rare (I've never seen or heard of it), sometimes there's a glitch (or someone screws up) and F gets overbooked.

Even then, unless it's a last minute maintenance issue or aircraft swap, any bumping happens long before the passenger checks in.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

RIX
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 1):

It was AA, MCO to JFK, reduced fare (I think this is how it's called), not a reward of any type. They gave me an explanation, but I was reading a book when they approached me, so it took me couple of moments to get it at all, and, like I said, it was in rush, seconds before departure. It might be a problem with one of the jump seats - my seat definitely was OK (and they said, they had to use it).

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 8):
Had just the opposite happen

- well, my "opposite" was upgrade with BA from WT+ to Club World, upper floor on 747. Clearly, I was far from asking "why?"  ...

I understand, this having happened with AA doesn't mean it's something "AA-specific", yet whatever "stuff" ever happened to me when flying was with AA - literally, no exaggeration, and this was by far not the worst one. Looks (rather even feels) like they will be my last choice for a while...

RamblinMan

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

OP- were you non-revving or on an elite upgrade? If so, especially the former, you really can't complain as long as the attendant did it discreetly and without causing unnecessary embarrassment.

If you were on a paid F ticket then you are owed an explanation and definitely compensation.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 3):
I even had my first cocktail in hand when this transpired, which they took from me immediately.

Now that's just tacky and unnecessary, and I would definitely have refused to let go of it.

PI4EVER

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

I was bumped on a revenue ticket, on DL, from a courtesy upgrade at the gate, seated, drink in hand, because a revenue F passenger from a delayed flight RAN to get the flight and gate had to accomodate him. I was asked to take my original seat which was now occupied by a courtesy upgrade to Economy Comfort so I ended up in row 41.....in a middle seat....but with said drink still in hand. The F/A's handled the situation beautifully and because I was so "kind" about the screwball situation they comp'd me and my seatmates in the entire row free drinks.
Once we landed, a F/A came to me during taxi in and asked if I could remain behind for just a few moments when we reached the gate. I did so and a supervisor came aboard, greeted me and thanked me for my "cooperation in a touchy situation." He extended to me a deposit of 10,000 bonus SkyMiles and upgraded my next trip to all F class on the spot. He remarked the gate supervisor in ATL who came aboard to advise me to move stated I was more considerate and "well behaved" than the running late passenger, and she wanted me to know how much they appreciated my cooperation.
At the end of the day (a Friday night no less) I arrived home safely, with a slight buzz, and was rewarded for my "cooperation."
It may happen as in my case, or a broken seat, or Sky Marshal or potentially a few other "touchy" situations. If on a revenue ticket, paid for F class, contact the airline for appropriate compensation and if not....in all other situations.....just go with the flow.
You-know-what happens sometimes.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

RIX
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 13):
You-know-what happens sometimes

- sure it does; question is, why whenever it happens to me, it always happens with AA  . As for compensation - yes, I got it - I didn't mention it in topic starter as it was not about complain, just was curious what the reason could be. They gave me $100 voucher which though doesn't even cover difference in price between reduced fare first and reduced fare economy... and to me looks nothing like 10000 FF miles + immediate upgrade to first for next trip. Nor did anybody care at all once I moved to the back cabin, unlike DL staff post-flight reaction in your situation. That's why I just don't feel like getting onboard AA any soon - I'm sure plain "thank you for understanding and co-operation" would not leave it this way.

Avianca

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 am

well I can remember that I was around 13 years ago kicked out even from the aircraft on a LH MUC-HAM, ok it was non rev and the captain made an mistake and released to many jump seats....

Cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

KBUF

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:37 am

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 1):
What airline were you on? What was the route?

Mid Central 909 from LGA to ORD. Ended up diverting to ICT because of bad weather at ORD.   
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 am

Quoting RIX (Reply 14):
They gave me $100 voucher which though doesn't even cover difference in price between reduced fare first and reduced fare economy

Were you on an "instand upgrade" or "first special" category fare. To all intents and purposes they're the same, you get a confirmed F seat, but the former is still technically an "upgrade". If it was the latter then I can't understand why the downgraded you rather than someone who got comped at the gate, and given you their seat. Sure it would have taken 60 seconds longer to orchestrate, but it would have been a more equitable outcome.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

B777LRF

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:28 pm

LH once tried to downgrade me at the gate on a MUC-ORD flight. My first, and only, question was "how will you compensate me?" and the answer was along the lines of "a 200 EUR voucher". I managed not to laugh too loudly, then suggested they could give that voucher on top of refunding the difference between a C and Y ticket and, just for good measure, credit my FF card with 50K miles. That left the gate agent rather speechless, so I said that I wasn't interested. The gate agent insisted there was no room for me in C today, and I had to fly Y. "There is no way I'm flying Y. Put me up in a hotel, pay me the EU mandated fine for bumping me off the flight and book me tomorrow. Or route me via someone else".

Ended up gettiing rebooked on LX via ZRH.

Never, ever, not even once, let them get away with shyte like this if you're on a paid ticket. If you're non-rev'ing, getting downgraded or bumped off a flight is par for the course.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove