skippy777

Qatar Airways Business Class The Best In The World

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 pm

This time I had the possibility to travel from BRU to DOH to MEL onboard Qatar Airways Business Class.
A friend of mine told me that the service is great and the comfort onboard the Boeing 777-300 LR was so good.

But when I flew from BRU to Doha onboard the Airbus 330 I noticed that that is a different business class product.
Why don't airlines offer the same service onboard there Long-haul flights

It must be easier for maintenance to work on the same products.
People expect the same service.

I think if you fly any other airline that you will have the same pitch onboard every aircraft
Same IFE system.

Are there more airlines that fly different configurations onboard there Long-haul fleet ?

Here is a video so you can see the difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3Qogb7TVQ

AA737-823

RE: Qatar Airways Business Class The Best In The W

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting Skippy777 (Thread starter):
I think if you fly any other airline that you will have the same pitch onboard every aircraft
Same IFE system.

Not really. Carriers all over the world have differing business classes between fleets, ranging from the lowly (but trying hard!) United to even Singapore.
Imagine some unsuspecting person's surprise when they get off of a flat bed UA 777 biz seat LHR-LAX, only to get on another UA 777 in biz, with a recliner, and go to HNL. Now, maybe LHR-HNL isn't a very likely route, but you get the idea.

And, I believe Singapore has differing hard products as well, between their intra-Asia 777-300s and their 777-300ERs/A380/A345.

While it would be nice if carriers offered just one, amazing product, the COST of throwing away hundreds of business class seats, to replace them with the newer generation, is just over the top.

So it's not odd that Qatar (incidentally, you've called their business class "the best in the world," but then you derided it for being inconsistent.... so what gives?) offers several different products.

LondonCity

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Both BA and VS offer consistent business class products. But even here there are slight variations depending on plane type.

The problem you highlight with SQ (and the same issue is found with CX, TG, MH and so on) is the fact it uses wide-bodied planes for short regional flights. Clearly it would be silly to offer a 1-2-1 flat bed product on short sectors like SIN-KUL or SIN-BKK.

AZA330

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Are there more airlines that fly different configurations onboard there Long-haul fleet ?

How many versions of business class does Emirates have? The one on the A332/343, the 777, the 777L, the A380...

I personally prefer airlines with a consistent product, like BA that was mentioned above. I like this because you do not have to constrain your itinerary to few specific flights to get the product you want, but you basically get it no matter what (granted that there are no codeshare flights involved).

However, at times you end up in the middle of a cabin refurbishment period for the airline. During these times (several months even to years) the product may be highly inconsistent (especially a few years back when airlines were switching J seats from cradle-type to flat beds) and you have to keep what you get. If only they would charge less for an old seat during those times...

RIX

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Looks truly great, but, before calling it the best out there - it has zero privacy in comparison to BA. (Using BA Lounge definitely helps though  ..).

BHMNONREV

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 pm

But when I flew from BRU to Doha onboard the Airbus 330 I noticed that that is a different business class product.
Why don't airlines offer the same service onboard there Long-haul flights

Generally the 330's fly shorter sectors than the 77L and 77W of Qatar, which is why you will find differing cabin configurations. But I agree that the Business on the 777's is outstanding, my only complaint being the 2-2-2 configuration when the aisle seats are fully flat the passengers at the window must climb over, which can be a pain.

But even in that config I find the cabin to be extremely spacious.

aloges

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting LondonCity (Reply 2):
Both BA and VS offer consistent business class products.

I wouldn't usually nitpick like this, but there's a highly relevant exception in BA's fleet:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matt D
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fabio Lorenzato - Piti Spotter Club

which, as your username suggests, should be somewhat familiar.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LondonCity

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 6):
I wouldn't usually nitpick like this, but there's a highly relevant exception in BA's fleet:

You are quite correct. But I did write above "but even here there are slight variations depending on plane type."

The point is that the flights between LCY and JFK comprise only a small proportion of BA's Club World capacity.

something

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 pm

LH has their new first class on A380s, 748s and select A330/A340 series, they have a 744 first class on the upper deck with a bed next to the seat and they have the old first class on the remaining planes. The next business class has only been installed on the 748 and some A330/A340 but the rest is all ''old business class''. Their economy class has the greatest and the smallest variation at the same time. Greatest because there are I believe 5 different versions, smallest because the only difference is the IFE and how thick the cushions are and how much leg room you have. The seat comfort is more or less the same, the only noticeable difference being the IFE.

Emirates has a different cabin configuration on every ''vintage''. The A330, A343, A345, 773, 77W (new and old), 772, 77L, A388 all feature a different hard product. If this is reflected in the fares (ie, F class on A330 cheaper on DXB-HKG than A388), I don't know. But one would hope so.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

hhslax2

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 am

The A330, A346, and 77W for EY that I've been on had a consistent J product, and it was better than the 77L and 77W J product for QR.

Viscount724

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 am

Quoting something (Reply 8):
Emirates has a different cabin configuration on every ''vintage''. The A330, A343, A345, 773, 77W (new and old), 772, 77L, A388 all feature a different hard product.
EK's J class product on the A332/343 is very second rate, with 7-abreast (2-3-2) reclining seats. I can't think of any other major carriers with 7-abreast business class seating on A330/340s.

[Edited 2012-11-13 16:36:05]

airbazar

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:03 am

The worst J class mismatch has to be AF's 744's vs the rest of their long haul fleet. Their 744's have the most uncomfortable J seat ever. After a red eye TATL on that thing I had a throbbing headache from the painfully uncomfortable head rest and a chair that bends in all the wrong places. Their J seat on the A330 on the other hand was absolute heaven.