DENEMT
Topic Author

DEN - CLT 2 US Redeye Flights

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

While searching for flights from DEN to CLT around Christmas I noticed US has 2 redeye flights scheduled, US 498 departing at 00:59 (A321) and US 1530 at 02:00 (A320). Anybody have insight as to why US has 2 flights at this time of day scheduled so closely together? I checked from 12/23 to 12/27 and it shows both flights operating. Loads in economy look to be light thus far with both flights having economy availability ranging from 55 - 155 available seats.

slcdeltarumd11

RE: DEN - CLT 2 US Redeye Flights

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Right around and after Thanksgiving you will see a wave of people looking to book Xmas travel so i wouldn't worry. Personally i find it so hard to book Xmas as i never know my schedule that far ahead anymore.

I think its smart they can always cancel one if it does not book. With so many connections coming in from united and people that can conncect in the morning to flights in CLT it seems like it should be an easy fill. They probably can rotate and have an extra plane that can fly instead of just sleeping on the ground somewhere. Its alot of seats but its such a busy time of year where alot of people will be totally fine or even prefer a red eye.

roseflyer

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm

US at Charlotte is the third biggest hub in the US behind DL at ATL and AA at DFW. There is a lot of capacity going through CLT. During holiday times, demand goes up further. With fleet utilization not having much flexibility, the only way to add capacity is between the hours of 10pm and 6am when most airplanes are on the ground. If they can fill an extra DEN turn from the CLT hub with an airplane that would have been on the ground, then that is more profit for them (as long as they have enough crew).
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 am

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 2):
US at Charlotte is the third biggest hub in the US behind DL at ATL and AA at DFW.

It's even bigger than UA at IAH? I never would've even thought its that big.
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

wn676

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 am

US usually adds a second redeye during these periods to most of their western markets that already have one redeye; SFO, LAX, LAS, SEA, and PHX also get an additional flight that arrives to connect with the second departure bank out of CLT which leaves around 09:45. To a lesser extent, they also do this with PHL, and I believe it's only from LAX, SFO, and PHX.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.