bambicruz
Topic Author

Check-in For Other Passengers

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 am

I was running late to an international flight out of EWR recently and while on the phone with my gf (who was already at the airport), she made a remark that she could have tried to get me checked in had I left my passport with her. Which got me wondering, do airlines allow passengers to check-in their companions if that person is not present at that time?

On a different note, does Aer Lingus provide self-check in kiosks at JFK ?

[Edited 2012-11-18 18:06:58]
F*** Me Im Famous!

crj900lr

RE: Check-in For Other Passengers

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 am

She could have tried but been denied. There must be a positive match of the person and their ID.

Quokkas

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 am

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 1):
She could have tried but been denied.

I can see potential problems check-in at an airport desk but what about check-in kiosks - or are these uncommon in the US? And do airlines in the US allow online check-in for international travel?

Here in Australia I can check-in everyone in my party and print boarding passes and we can all proceed to the gate. It is at the gate that staff confirm that the name on the boarding pass matches the ID. Does the same apply in the US?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

IAHFLYR

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 1):
She could have tried but been denied.

Not necessarilty true. Depending on if you are simply using a kiosk to check-in with carry-on luggage or check-in at the counter to check luggage. I've checked my wife in numerous times for international travel by sliding her passport into the kiosk, poof boarding pass is printed.

Of course you will be checked at security and verified you have a passport and then again as you board the flight you will have to show your passport to the gate agent.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.