jumpjets
Topic Author

LON-NYC Premium Economy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm planning a trip to NYC in the new year and as I have to pay for myself was planning to go Y+ not J. Am indifferent about flying in to JFK or EWR .

VS and BA offer a variety of aircraft types - 744, 340-600, 777, 767 and even the new VS A333 for the date we have in mind. I am never too sure about the status of premium economy on US carriers - I get the impression that its not really a clearly defined product as it is on VS/BA and not as good.

Anyway, purpose of post is to get some advice on which carrier offers the best Y+ product and even which aircraft type is to be preferred. My natural inclination is to think the VS A333 being the newest is likely to offer the best, though I see VS have Y+ upstairs on their 744s which would provide a nice small quite cabin experience.

thanks for any thoughts.

PS Any one with good hotel experiences for Manhattan feel free to chip in some advice on that score too please.

debonair

RE: LON-NYC Premium Economy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Well...

Why not KUWAIT AIWAYS B777 BusinessClass LHR-JFK?! It is nothing near BA or VS C-Class, but might be better than Y+!

coachclass

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm

As for hotels, my only experience 3-4 years ago was Marriott's's Times Square Renaissance. Rooms small, well appointed, can be expensive but right there! Also in that immediate area are the other Marriott and a Crown Plaza. Have fun.

wunala

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 am

Just stayed at Element by Westin 39th and 8th. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/elemen...tml?propertyID=3361&language=en_US

Nice, clean, and very central to most things. Its also 2 blocks from NJPA, so getting to and from the airports is easy enough. There is also a "managers reception" Mon-Thurs in the evening. Breakfast is tasty. Its pre-made warm rolls, with various fillings, and the usual bagels, yoghurts etc.

There are a few other hotels on the street too. (Holiday Inn, Hampton Court etc).

As for Y+, I would probably do BA, based on my experiences of both BA and VS.

foppishbum

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 pm

For hotel recommendations:
Ace Hotel: http://www.acehotel.com/newyork (in Chelsea, Manhattan area; close to Flatiron and Madison Square Park)
Hotel Indigo: http://www.indigochelsea.com/ (in Chelsea, Manhattan; about 6 blocks south of Herald Square)
6 Columbus: http://www.thompsonhotels.com/hotels/nyc/6-columbus (rooms are a little small but at a great and convenient area; close to almost all trains; a minute walk from Central Park; great shopping area at Time Warner Center)

As for Y+, I've never flown in Y+ so can't really recommend anything. However, I would go for the newest/youngest plane available.   I attend school in NYC so let me know if you have further questions. Feel free to send me private message.
Taiwanese-American :D