airliner371
Topic Author

Roundtrip Fares As Flight Options

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Why do the legacy carriers show the roundtrip fares as soon as flight options appear? Wouldn't it look better to have the cheaper one way fare? I am interested because AA is now doing this. Thanks!

ushermittwoch

RE: Roundtrip Fares As Flight Options

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 am

Quoting airliner371 (Thread starter):
Why do the legacy carriers show the roundtrip fares as soon as flight options appear? Wouldn't it look better to have the cheaper one way fare? I am interested because AA is now doing this. Thanks!

Because oftentimes the one way fares are higher. Especially when travelling internationally.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

EricAY05

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am

I think what (s)he meant was roundtrip prices showing as two separate numbers. Like if my rt flight costs $500, I first choose a $280 outbound leg and then a $220 return leg. If I would like to purchase a one-way flight however, neither of these numbers would be this low.

To the question, I think airlines around the world have lately tried to mislead their customers less and less (like including taxes in the advertised prices instead of "+tax"). A total price visible right away is certainly less misleading than constructing your total fare from two or more parts.

Quokkas

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm

I admit to being confused by the question. Don't most airlines (and even third party consolidators) allow you to specify before entering the origin, destination and dates, whether you want a round trip, one way or multiple sectors (including possible stopovers)?

Specify return and it will bring up options for return flights. Specify one way and the results will be one way fares. Wouldn't the results shown be based on that initial input?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

srbmod

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

First off, the majority of passengers are buying round trip tickets as opposed to a one way, so it makes more sense to display a RT price as opposed to a OW price. On Delta.com, they show the RT prices as "from" $XXX (which is generally the cheapest possible fare) as depending upon the flights selected, the price may be that price or it may be higher.