PHX787
Topic Author

Best Airport Restaurant (2012 Ed.)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 am

Another food related thread brought to you by PHX787  

I know lots of airports have fast food but some have some pretty good restaurants inside. Which airport has the best restaurant inside the terminal?

Criteria- Not fast food chain (No McDonalds, Burger King, etc)
- Can be a sit-down restaurant or a take-out restaurant.
- Please list prices, if possible. Photos are also good  

Ok Mine:

MSP has a really awesome asian restaurant located in Concourse C right by the central tram station near gates C-11 and C-12. I had some really authentic Japanese udon there. They sliced that chicken to the T, it was pretty good for $5.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2drcvig.jpg

NRT's terminal 1, in the upstairs mall right by the viewing platforms, there's a nice sit-down noodle restaurant. They have literally everything....Chinese lo-mein, ramen, udon, and soba, in all forms and flavors. I forgot the name though. It costs about ¥600 for a nice plate of lo-mein.

There's actually quite a few awesome restaurants in the upstairs mall at NRT.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

AirAfreak

RE: Best Airport Restaurant (2012 Ed.)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 am

Atlanta E Concourse has a sushi bar/restaurant with a delicious sea bass!!! I can only tell you it is located on the same side as the Lufthansa Senator Lounge as far as location is concerned.

Bon Appetit!

AirAfreak =]
Do you lead an Intercontinental life?

Akiestar

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:58 am

Some of the best airport food that I've had was actually at PEK Terminal 3: the restaurant is called "Acting", and it serves traditional Chinese (and even local Pekingese) fare.

I've also had a wonderful English breakfast at LHR Terminal 3.  

alaska737

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 am

I would say the best restaurant wouldn't be attached to a major airport. They are all too predictable and similar. Smaller airports tend to have the best and most unique places. For example Sedona Arizona has an amazing restaurant right next to the GA terminal. I would eat at it even if it wasn't close to an airport. Here is the website. http://www.mesagrillsedona.com/

Yflyer

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 pm

When SMF opened their new Terminal B a little over a year ago, the airport authority made an effort to bring in local resturants instead of national chains. My favorite is a place called Dos Coyotes (Though admidedly I haven't eaten at their airport branch yet, but their local branch is a lunch time favorite among my coworkers and me). Like you'd probably expect from the name they serve burritos and tacos and the like, though I wouldn't really call them a "Mexican" resturant, more like California fusion cusine with a Mexican influence (They call themselves a "Southwestern" resturant as opposed to Mexican). Their ingredients are all fresh and usually locally grown. If you're arriving at SMF, it's a great place to try that California favorite, the fish taco.

Menu here, meals usually run around $10-$12 with a beverage.

Edit: And I forgot to add that the resturants in the new terminal are a major improvment the old terminal it replaced, which had almost no dining options to speak of and was the location of the worst airport meal I've ever had the first time I flew into SMF back in 2005.

[Edited 2012-12-18 10:48:24]

srbmod

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 1):
Atlanta E Concourse has a sushi bar/restaurant with a delicious sea bass!!! I can only tell you it is located on the same side as the Lufthansa Senator Lounge as far as location is concerned.

That would be One Flew South. I've never had a chance to try it because typically I fly out in the mornings before it opens (Usually my breakfast is from one of the fast food outlets on the concourse I'm flying out of, which is typically A.). I do have a trip planned for next May that leaves in the afternoon, so I may try to check it out.

AirAfreak

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 5):

That's it!!!!!!! An agent at the E17 SkyClub suggested this place and the sushi and main dishes are exceptional!!! The cuts of sushi/sashimi are on the thicker side and very fresh! And you must try the sea bass and the scallop dishes. Really make an effort to go and do sit at the sushi bar as I find the service to be slightly faster!!!

Would your breakfast be from the delicious Paschal's in Concourse A? That is my go-to for breakfast!!!!!!

Enjoy ATL!!!

AirAfreak =]
Do you lead an Intercontinental life?

IAHFLYR

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:40 pm

IAH Terminal E has both Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen and Cat Cora's Kitchen. Even though some folks don't like the pricing or the food items I still find both places to have good drinks, tasty food that's well prepared each time.

http://pappadeaux.com/location/?id=40

http://www.catcora.com/restaurants
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

redzeppelin

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm

SLC just finished a major overhaul of the dining options there, including a couple new full-service restaurants and several quick-service places. They brought in a few local local favorites, including Cafe Rio, which I couldn't be more excited about. Cafe Rio is very popular in Utah and is starting to grow more in surrounding states as well. I've really missed it since I moved out of Utah. They use delicious fresh-made tortillas, which they roll out and cook up right in front of you as you order. My standard order is "pork burrito/black beans/medium sauce/enchilada style." That runs about $8. The burrito and enchilada sauces are usually called hot, medium, and mild, but all three are very different sauces with distinctly different ingredients. My preferred sauce, "medium," is a sweet tomatillo-based salsa. The various meats all have distinct seasonings as well, and you learn to mix and match with sauces if you go there often. The barbacoa pork blends exceptionally well with the medium sauce. My wife likes the mild sauce (chile verde) with the roast beef.

The burritos are fantastic, but everything else is just as good. I just have a hard time ordering anything else because I like the burritos so much. The next most popular thing is propbably the salads, which are basically an open-faced burrito (same tortilla, meat and rice) with a huge pile of lettuce, cilantro, tortilla strips, and other salad toppings piled on. Both salad dressings are yummy, but most people go for the house specialty tomatillo-ranch (the other is a cilantro vinaigrette). Dressing is provided in a generous proportion, but always on the side. Be aware that the salads probably have at least 1200 calories in them...

So if you are passing through SLC and have time to eat, check out Cafe Rio at the top of the C concourse. If Mexican isn't your thing, Greek Souvlaki next door is another local favorite that I highly recommend. But it is more of a "fast food" outlet, so I won't go into too much detail here except to say that I'm a fan of the Philly Cheesesteak Gyro  .

srbmod

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 6):

Would your breakfast be from the delicious Paschal's in Concourse A? That is my go-to for breakfast!!!!!!

I tend to avoid the restaurants in the food court at the centerpoint of Concourse A, as they tend to be a bit more crowded than the places further down the concourse and closer to my gate. With the ongoing revamp of the concessions and some of the previous contract holders losing their bids, Paschal's is now down to one location in the Atrium (outside of security) and one on B.

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Given how much we all travel this might be a good subject for a new forum.

At Orlando FL, they have an Outback Streak house at the departure terminal (gates 80 +)
The menu is good and found the lamb ribs to be excellent.
Sometimes have the evening meal here before boarding and then sleep the 8hrs back home. 
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

TK787

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Please Please, whatever the case someone bring quality food options to FLL's D gates, DL terminal.
I have written over the years, those people should be ashamed to serve that terrible food. It should be illegal to have that sellection even in a high school; when people get stuck, like I have few times, for hours and not have anything edible there.
Just saying.

hoons90

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 am

There was this seafood restaurant at CLT whose name escapes me. Delicious crab cakes!
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

readytotaxi

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Might be "Phillips FamousSeafood" on concourse C ?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

hoons90

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 13):

That's it! Thanks!
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

aklrno

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 pm

At LAX there are several restaurants that appear to be branches of well known Los Angeles places (like Daily Grill, Nate n Al's, Pink's and several more) which are actually operated by the LAX food concession Delaware North. They are just not the same as the places they are named after. I almost ate at Salt Lick in Austin, but it didn't look right to me.

I wish they would warn me when the seemingly famous restaurant is going to be just a poor replica of what I'm expecting.

RNO has a Max's deli and La Brea Bakery. They both bear little resemblance to the real thing.

What's the story in the other places mentioned in previous posts? Are any of those places independently run, or are they just another version of whatever the airport concessionaire has to offer? Please let me know if you have eaten in both the airport and non-airport versions of a restaurant. If you have just been in one or the other you can't really know.

Goldenshield

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 8):
Cafe Rio is very popular in Utah and is starting to grow more in surrounding states as well. I've really missed it since I moved out of Utah.

I've been to CR #1, and former #1.  
Quoting aklrno (Reply 15):
I almost ate at Salt Lick in Austin, but it didn't look right to me.

The food's actually brought in from the Salt Lick south of the airport. While your experience of getting the meal may be different, the food's still the same.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

tz757300

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:40 pm

PHL

Perhaps my favorite mainstream Philly restaurant, I always end up at Chickie and Petes, which I believe are located in every concourse except for F. Order a thing of crab fries and some wings and I am quite content.

BWI

Also another mainstream regional place, but I also tend to end up at the Greene Turtle whenever I'm there. Very consistent and usually pretty good.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

beakerltn

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm

There's a fantastic restaurant in FCO - about as good as I've found in an airport - I think his may be called 'gusto'. Other than that, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the beer (real ale) at Wetherspoons at London Stansted is always perfect, although I guess this may have more to do with the high turnover.
300/319/320/321/330/732/733/734/73G/738/744/772/77W/146/EMB135/EMB145

laxlocal

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:00 pm

I am partial to Gustav's at PDX !

LAXLocal
LAXLocal

toobz

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Stanford's at PDX. One of the few airports that have same pricing as in the city. So that means Happy Hour all day Sat! I've travelled all over the world and have never got a burger and fries for $3 at a restaurant at an airport lol that's my vote!

FI642

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 13):

We call them 'food for tourists" - none of their seafood is from the Chesapeake Bay.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

blueflyer

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 7):
IAH Terminal E has both Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen and Cat Cora's Kitchen.

All I have to say. As airport restaurants go, this is pretty good.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

rahulrahul

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 am

Give me my Uno's or Reggio's Pizza anyday in ORD  !
A300/319/320/321/332/333/343/346 B732/738/744/752/762/763/772/773 CRJ200/700/900 ERJ140/145/170/175 MD88

WestJet747

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 am

YYZ

Every time I fly out of T3, I always stop for a meal at Fionn MacCool's. It's located next to gate B24 as soon as you get through security. It isn't the best Irish pub fare I've ever had, but as far as airports go, it's pretty damn good. Further to that, I find the service to be fantastic, which always goes a long way in my books.

For those feeling a little parched after a long flight, you can stop for a beer at the Mill Street Brewery in T1. The serve Irish pub food as well, but I've only ever gone for the beer. 

YUL

Right by gate 2 is Moe's Deli & Bar where you can get a real good Montreal smoked meat sandwich and a beer.

On the landside, right in front of security in the departures hall, is a boulangerie that always has some amazing sandwiches on display, but I have yet to try it because I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices they're asking.
Flying refined.

rwy04lga

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Thank God I'm not a foodie. So much time wasted hunting for 'proper' food when McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, KFC, Chick-fil-A etc will do the trick.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue