777sigfan

787 First Impressions

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Well here goes my 1st attempt at a post. I have been creeping around the site for about 2 years and decided to join up. Alot of very knowledgeable folks out there and I hope to learn a ton from you anywho......

Caught the 787 from DEN to IAH yesterday and though I would give my impressions of the plane and the flight.

Side View: Approaching from the side it likes not unlike an Embraer as some have pointed out. It is a good looking plane in my opinion and I love the wing on it, it just goes and goes and goes to a little point.

Front View: WOW......She is a little rotund, could almost be mistaken for the A380's little brother. Was not expecting this at all, I knew it was a widebody but I did not think it was that big around. Pulling up some data on my phone I realized that it is only about a foot smaller in diameter than a 777.

Inside: Very nice inside, the new Boeing interior is fantastic and I like the soft blue lighting. I was in Y as I am a recently graduated broke college student who is still very much broke so no upgrades for me  . The footrests are a nice touch and the gigantic windows are nice as well. Now for the biggest improvement.......the noise! My god is that thing quiet! You can sit and have a conversation with the person right next to you in a normal tone! Noise cancelling headphones would almost be an unnecessary redundancy and oh man I could get use to this on long haul flights. I am sure this is going to be an international bird here soon, but having a decent variety of movies and tv shows was kind of nice even though the flight was less than 2 hours.

All in all it was a great experience and I look forward to riding on this plane for the next couple of decades, hopefully in business as I do not want to be a broke ex-college student for long  . It is a fantastic step in aviation!

planeguy727

RE: 787 First Impressions

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

I did the LO 787 on WAW-MUC on 15 December. Here are my impressions:

Outside: Nice looking aircraft. Looked a bit stubby compared to what I was expecting, though still a nice looking plane.

Inside: While the sculpting of the sidewalls and structure of the overhead bins lead it to feel more open, it was underwhelming compared to the promo pictures Boeing put out. I know this is all about how the airline chooses to outfit the interior. For example, when boarding via 2L you enter facing a galley, just like so many other a/c. I was hoping that the more open entry area that is so frequently seen in promotional pictures would be actualized by LO. The business class seat (I was in 2B) reminds me of the option TK has in their 777-300ER. Comfortable enough for me. I did like the lighting and the lav felt a touch less crowded. Bigger windows were FANTASTIC. The dimming was intersting, though I flew after dark so don't know if I would feel differently during a daylight flight.

It had that new plane smell and I was excited to be on it. I can say, though, that if not for being in the know I am not convinced that most occasional flyers would really know it was any different.

Other: For all of the talk about not feeling any turbulence/bumps (including the LO inflight magazine article saying that feelings of turbulance are over with this a/c) I will need to disagree. Either it was like the light chop we all know so well, or it was moderate but only felt like light chop. As for noise, I didn't experience it as quieter or louder than other a/c.

Closing thought: I would say bring them on. I believe that I will enjoy flying on them more as airlines add them and hope that with longer segments it will really help the flying experience. So much really does depend on the airline and how they do things on the inside (from the pax persective).
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

IAHFLYR

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I get my first ride next week from IAH-SFO, can't wait to get inside and see the bigger windows as well as the other improvements.

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 1):
As for noise, I didn't experience it as quieter or louder than other a/c

Really? I've been standing at IAH near the taxiway beneath the old tower when the B788 has taken off and it made much less noise on departure than the B739 did that was taxiing on the parallel taxiway as it went past. It must be much quieter inside as well, but I'll know soon!  
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

777sigfan

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Bigger windows were FANTASTIC

Yes indeed!

The dimming was intersting, though I flew after dark so don't know if I would feel differently during a daylight flight.

Flew during the day and it lets you dim between 5 levels so you can dim to a level where you can still see out without getting retina flash and while not disturbing the pax around you. It is a nice touch that adds some convenience.

Yflyer

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 am

You might be interested to know that Patrick Smith, who goes by "aviateur" here I believe, recently wrote about his first 787 flight on his blog.

777sigfan

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 4):
You might be interested to know that Patrick Smith, who goes by "aviateur" here I believe, recently wrote about his first 787 flight on his blog.

I didnt know that, but thank you that was a good read.

PlaneHunter

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Here's my report about two flights on LOT's Dreamliner:

100th Report: LOT 787 Dream)Liner, 1st Day Of Ops (by PlaneHunter Dec 16 2012 in Trip Reports)

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!