KaiTak747
Topic Author

LHR-HKG - CX Is Half The Price Of BA

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 am

I've been looking at prices for London to Hong Kong flights for Autumn and I am very surprised by the difference in price between CX and BA. Especially because CX is in many ways a better airline.

For october, one of the busiest periods: (all one way)

BA Economy - £1369
BA WT+ - £1869
BA Club World - £5236
BA First - £7917

CX Economy - £542
CX Premium economy - £787
CX Business - £2818
CX First - £3499

So the question is, why would anyone fly BA on this route? CX is half price!! BA's loads must be very low with CX and VS offering much lower prices. Why pay more than £5K for a narrow Club World seat when you can save £2K and have a CX First Suite!!

I looked at return flights, which are baffling. BA is very confusing, you select Club World return and the LHR-HKG drops to only £1600, and the return £3700 - which equals the same price as one way only!! The return HKG-LHR flight gives the option for First at £2900, which is £800 cheaper than Club World!!

So, why would BA offer First cheaper than Club World, and secondly why have the return the same price as one way? I thought airlines had stopped using this ridiculous system!!

baw217

RE: LHR-HKG - CX Is Half The Price Of BA

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 am

Odd,

According to the Matrix, tickets brought from London are as follows:

BA's lowest return economy fare is £387.60 (VKNCGB) which must have a Sunday night stay. The cheapest return economy fare without a Sunday night say is £1611.60 (Y2V8OW) and must be booked at least 5 days before departure.

BA's other cheapest fares are:

WT: £1128.60 (YOW), single, booked 5 days in advance
WTP: £740.60 (TKAPGB), return, with Sunday night, booked 7 days in advance
WTP: £2180.60 (W2BA), return, no Sunday night, booked 5 days in advance
WTP: £1527.60 (W1OW), single, booked 5 days in advance
CW: £2629.60 (IAPGB), return, with Sunday night, booked 28 days in advance
CW: £4003.60 (R3BAD), return, no Sunday night, booked 14 days in advance
CW: £4410.60 (J1), single, booked 5 days in advance
F: £5225.60 (AAPGB), return, booked 28 days in advance
F: £6386.60 (F1), single, walk up fare

All fares exclude taxes and charges. Which for an economy return is £371.35 which makes BAs cheapest round trip Y fare around £759.

Prices vary depending on departure airport, you can save a good £1000 by booking BA AMS-LHR-JFK in J rather than just LHR-JFK.

skipness1E

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:01 am

Quoting KaiTak747 (Thread starter):

I think the key word is "one way". Ever tried booking a single with some airlines?

gabrielchew

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:05 pm

BA's loads must be very low with CX and VS offering much lower prices

Surely the opposite is true....BA has already sold their cheap seats, so the cabin is fuller than CX and VS.

I'm sure revenue management knows what they are doing. BA flights (from what i'vd heard) are generally full between HKG and LHR. Maybe, unlike CX and VS, they sell a lot of last minute tickets. If they know they can do this, why fill up the plane months in advance with low-yield tourists?

BA (and VS) flights are mostly O/D pax. CX will be connecting pax mainly to other Asian/Chinese/Australasian destinations. This will probably also influence the fares.

BA also have a lot of loyal travellers who may choose BA rather than CX for other reasons than price. On a route like this, there will also be plenty of people paying less than the advertised rates (i.e. on corporate deals).

Finally, autumn is a long way away. Airlines have 10 months to adjust prices depening on the load and competitors' prices.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: LHR-BKK-AKL-TBU-NAN-WLG,WHK-AKL-BKK-LHR

Viscount724

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Almost nobody flies only one way on longhaul international routes. Check the round trip fare for a better comparison. Many carriers almost ignore their one way fares on such routes with little true one way traffic since they account for so few passengers.