MHTripple7
Topic Author

Ceiba Intercontinental SSG-MAD Flight

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 am

I found out CEIBA was flying SSG-MAD (operated by White) a little over a month ago, and then came across this photo on the front page:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Diego Ruiz de Vargas - Iberian Spotters

Which left me wondering how this route is doing. Do any of our Spanish members have any insight to this flight? I presume that pax loads are rather horrible, considering it's next to impossible to book a flight with them.

I wonder how the inflight service is? AVOD? Flat seats? Mood lighting?

What a strange airline!

rutankrd

RE: Ceiba Intercontinental SSG-MAD Flight

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:33 am

Why ?

Equatorial Guinea is the richest country on the African continent with vast oil revenues.

These flights carry large numbers oil execs and the very wealthy Guinean elite up to old colonial power to spend that wealth (or hide it !)

Wouldn't worry to much as to the financials of the operation- The 77L is still owned by Guinea and is registered in Portugal to get round the EU black list !

aviateur

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 1):
Equatorial Guinea is the richest country on the African continent with vast oil revenues.

It's also the most corrupt African country. I've read some incredible things about the fellow in power there -- and some of his family members.

I saw a Ceiba ATR-72 a few weeks ago in Accra. I tried uploading a photo but it was rejected.

A ceiba is a common, and quite beautiful tropical tree.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:52 am

These flights carry large numbers oil execs and the very wealthy Guinean elite up to old colonial power to spend that wealth (or hide it !)

Do they? I find it hard to believe these oil companies would suddenly put extra effort forth to switch from IB, AF, LH, etc to CEIBA. Remember, there is no way to earn miles on CEIBA. I am aware of the wealthy Equatorial Guineans, but are there enough of them to support a thrice weekly 77L flight?

[Edited 2012-12-21 17:53:55]

rutankrd

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:05 am

Like I say wouldn't worry about the financials - its certainly a family play thing !

If you need to do business with Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo or family i'am sure he would prefer you to travel on his toy !

aviateur

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 4):
Like I say wouldn't worry about the financials - its certainly a family play thing !

That's nice of them, taking tens of millions from the national treasury and buying planes that nobody will fly on.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

SCQ83

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 am

I didn't know UX had pulled out of that route...

Even if there are wealthy Guineans in Madrid, nowadays Paris is more likely their destination to indulge (in fact French and Portuguese are also official languages there)... for the money I assume an Alpine country suits better for that purpose.

Since it is basically a vanity route, a SSG-CDG would also make sense.

Or it is just IB's A319, maybe they just don't like IB's (A319) Business Club and they decided to set their own long-haul flight to Madrid... apparently Equatorial Guinean government was not happy with the old Euro-Business that Iberia used until to 2009.

Quoting aviateur (Reply 5):

And keep your people in poverty and misery... for a country with their oil and gas resources and roughly the population of Vermont.

[Edited 2012-12-21 18:51:36]

LatinPlane

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:17 am

Found a video of Ceiba Intercontinental. Interesting operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FVMira3i0Y
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

YULWinterSkies

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 am

Wouldn't worry to much as to the financials of the operation- The 77L is still owned by Guinea and is registered in Portugal to get round the EU black list !

Though, if registered in Portugal, they would probably have to comply with Portugal (EU) safety standards. And since they fly to MAD, they can get their maintenance checks done there. In fact, EU ban or not, it is probably a better thing for everybody involved that they are registered in Portugal rather than Equatorial Guinea. For the reason below.

Quoting aviateur (Reply 2):

It's also the most corrupt African country.
When I doubt... go running!

The777Man

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

I read a story online recently saying that Equatorial Guinea is getting help from Spanish Aviation Authorities to get out of the EU ban.

I'm not sure how that's coming along or when they expect to off the EU black list.

It would be interesting to hear more about this operation by Ceiba.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777