sk736

Has Anyone Tried Air China In Europe?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I've just discovered that Air China operate ATH to MUC with a one way fare of only £72! This seems like a great way to try an airline I wouldn't normally get to use, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of flying this route with Air China.

Longhornmaniac

RE: Has Anyone Tried Air China In Europe?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Do they have 5th freedom rights?

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

sk736

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
Do they have 5th freedom rights?

Yes they do - that's how I know the fare is £72!

Longhornmaniac

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 am

Quoting SK736 (Reply 2):
Yes they do - that's how I know the fare is £72!

I suppose that makes sense.  

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

OA260

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I did a similar route and loved it :

Air China A330 Business Class Beds With Pics+Vids (by OA260 Dec 18 2008 in Trip Reports)

Viscount724

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting SK736 (Thread starter):
I've just discovered that Air China operate ATH to MUC with a one way fare of only £72! This seems like a great way to try an airline I wouldn't normally get to use, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of flying this route with Air China.

One problem with flights that operate a short tag-on sector after a long international flight is that the cabin may be quite messy on boarding, unless all passengers are required to deplane at the intermediate stop to permit cabin cleaning and grooming. Not sure if that's the case at ATH on CA flights from China. Those types of 5th freedom flights are also, in my experience, more prone to delays, and if there's a major problem you get less rerouting assistance than if you're booked on a carrier with more frequent service.

OA260

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 5):
Not sure if that's the case at ATH on CA flights from China. Those types of 5th freedom flights are also, in my experience, more prone to delays, and if there's a major problem you get less rerouting assistance than if you're booked on a carrier with more frequent service.

My flight was routed BJS-CDG-ATH and was spotless and no delays. I think CA have it well organised. I have seen other airlines who have issues with tags AI KU etc...

BlatantEcho

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:58 am

Fly air china ath-muc. It was the cheapest by far on the route.

Just fine, and fun to fly an a330 on what would normally be a regional route.
They're not handing trophies out today

visualapproach

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:01 am

I flew the route two or so months ago. Full lunch served ATH-MUC, would recommend it.

HT

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:09 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 5):
One problem with flights that operate a short tag-on sector after a long international flight is that the cabin may be quite messy on boarding, unless all passengers are required to deplane at the intermediate stop to permit cabin cleaning and grooming. Not sure if that's the case at ATH on CA flights from China.

Routing is PEK - MUC - ATH - MUC - PEK.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Viscount724

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 9):
uoting Viscount724 (Reply 5):
One problem with flights that operate a short tag-on sector after a long international flight is that the cabin may be quite messy on boarding, unless all passengers are required to deplane at the intermediate stop to permit cabin cleaning and grooming. Not sure if that's the case at ATH on CA flights from China.

Routing is PEK - MUC - ATH - MUC - PEK.

Seems like a strange route to ATH. Wouldn't it make more sense to stop in ATH en route to MUC? Who would want to fly such a roundabout route to ATH, involving flying in the wrong direction for almost 1000 miles? I wonder what their typical load factor is on the MUC-ATH-MUC sectors, especially in the premium cabin? Doesn't sound like a very profitable operation, especially with the economic situation in Greece.

OA260

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
I wonder what their typical load factor is on the MUC-ATH-MUC sectors, especially in the premium cabin? Doesn't sound like a very profitable operation, especially with the economic situation in Greece.

I guess they know and wouldn't operate it if it was not viable.  

BTW don't get caught into the ''economic situation '' band wagon. Despite this there are still a lot of rich people using premium cabins in and out of ATH. I see it all the time on my regular flights out and back. Mid week early December my BA B767 was packed in all classes and that is low season.

airtrainer

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
Seems like a strange route to ATH. Wouldn't it make more sense to stop in ATH en route to MUC? Who would want to fly such a roundabout route to ATH, involving flying in the wrong direction for almost 1000 miles? I wonder what their typical load factor is on the MUC-ATH-MUC sectors, especially in the premium cabin? Doesn't sound like a very profitable operation, especially with the economic situation in Greece.

Distance is about the same according to great circle mapper. I guess they have more connecting pax in MUC ? I'm planning on flying the ATH-MUC leg in 2013 (rather than MUC-ATH with an early departure), would be curious to know about their load factor...
Link : ATH%0D%0APEK-MUC&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=mi&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=" target="_blank">http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=P...STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Viscount724

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:12 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Mid week early December my BA B767 was packed in all classes and that is low season.

But do you know what fares the J passengers were paying? I've been on many flights where most of the premium seats were occupied by Y class passengers since on routes with little premium demand they overbook Y by the numbere of J seats expected to remain unsold. Many airlines do this as a standard practice, especially during off-season periods rather than leave premium cabins empty.

ajs123uk

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:01 am

I flew muc-ath and the cabin wasn't particularly messy, there were a few empty seats so plenty of room and a hot meal was served.
An interesting flight for around £70, and would like to do more similar types of trips

sk736

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Well thanks everyone for your replies and contributions. I've now booked my flight on Air China from MUC to ATH for just £70, a real bargain! My itinerary will be MAN/MUC on LH, overnight at MUC then MUC/ATH on CA, ATH/LHR on A3 and finally LHR/MAN on BA. Really looking forward to it and hoping my connections all work!