anyong
Topic Author

Star Alliance Status Op-Up Question

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 am

I was travelling on an oversold CA 983 flight from PEK-LAX yesterday with my father and we both received op-ups from Y to J at the gate. Needless to say it was an awesome boxing day surprise. In any case, neither of us were a part of Air China's FF program. However, my father is an OZ Diamond (*Gold) and I myself am US Silver Preferred. I assume that CA FF Preferred members got the first op-ups, but then I get lost.

My question is: how does the op-up structure work for Star Alliance customers? I am thinking it goes from the carrier's preferred members (in my case, Air China's preferred members) and then it trickles straight down to other Star Alliance preferred members, therefore passing regular CA FF members. Or is it possible that all CA FF members got op-ups before my father and I, and we were just extremely lucky?

Coal

RE: Star Alliance Status Op-Up Question

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:13 am

It all depends on the airline. I'm SQ *G and I've had upgrades on CA twice, but admittedly I asked for them at check in. I've also received upgrades on UA from Y to Y+. The first time I didn't ask for it and got it, probably because Y+ was empty. The second time I got it because I asked at the gate.

I know for a fact SQ doesn't give out free upgrades no matter what the situation is. They'd rather put you up in a hotel than bump you from Y to C (let alone F or R!!).

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

planeguy727

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 pm

As a *Gold (US Chairman's Preferred) I have been upgraded on UA (Y to F and Y to Y+ domestic, Y to Y+ transatlantic) and LO Y to C (on the 787). I've not asked for any of these upgrades.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

anyong
Topic Author

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 am

That's pretty interesting how if you just ask for an upgrade, you can sometimes get one. Good to know!!

CXfirst

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Quoting anyong (Reply 3):
That's pretty interesting how if you just ask for an upgrade, you can sometimes get one. Good to know!!

Often the easy way is just asking if it is a full flight at check-in. If it is full or close to full and you have your *G card out already there is a good chance they'll choose you for an upgrade. Same goes at the gate, doesn't hurt to ask again there if it is a full flight and hint to an upgrade.

-CXfirst

usflyer msp

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:49 pm

I am UA Silver and I have been op-upped on US and AC due to overbooking. I got one MSP-CLT this past Monday.

blueflyer

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:59 am

Quoting anyong (Thread starter):
My question is: how does the op-up structure work for Star Alliance customers?

The Star Alliance reference manual (used by airline agents to determine such things as lounge access) has no paragraph on operational upgrades, so my guess is there isn't one across-the-board rule for Star carriers and each airline is free to proceed as it pleases.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

CXfirst

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 6):
The Star Alliance reference manual (used by airline agents to determine such things as lounge access) has no paragraph on operational upgrades, so my guess is there isn't one across-the-board rule for Star carriers and each airline is free to proceed as it pleases.

Hence, it is much easier with some airlines than others. SQ is practically impossible for instance, don't even bother asking. TG have been good for me, LH difficult (mostly due to the large amount of LH miles&more passengers), etc.

-CXfirst

anyong
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

So do op-ups only happen during overbooked flights or can they also happen when Business Class is undersold. For instance, when I fly US, I can expect to get upgraded about half the time because of my status. However, is that even considered an op-up or a different story altogether?