falstaff
Topic Author

Skyteam To LEJ?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I am thinking about taking another trip to LEJ this spring. It makes sense for me to fly to LEJ because I have a friend that I stay with that lives in Halle. In the past I flew DTW-FRA on NW/DL then checked in on LH and flew to LEJ. Another way was DTW-CDG-LEJ with AF. I was looking at some schedules and it doesn't look like AF flies to LEJ anymore and I can't buy a ticket on DL's website that would get me from DTW to LEJ. I also tried on AF's website and nothing their either. I would like to do the entire trip on Skyteam, but is that even possible anymore? I find it a pain in the butt to have to collect my bags and then go and check in again on a different airline.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

L410Turbolet

RE: Skyteam To LEJ?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Why not take the ICE to Leipzig from FRA? Three and half hours and much more fun than flying intra-Europe.
BTW, there is no direct service between LEJ and any Skyteam hub in Europe.

HT

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Quoting falstaff (Thread starter):
I would like to do the entire trip on Skyteam, but is that even possible anymore?

No. SkyTeam does not serve LEJ or DRS.

Seeing that you are heading for Halle (Saale), your options are flying into
- FRA, then train for 3h45min to 4h30min (usually 1 transfer)
- HAJ, then train hourly for 2h45min (1 transfer at Hannover Central station); fares start at 19 € oneway (prebooked; wlak-up fare is much higher)
- TXL, then bus to Berlin Central Station, train to Halle requiring between 1h45min and 2h30min.

Of course you even could combine any of the above airport options !

At both FRA and HAJ the train station is right at the airport, meaning no dreaded bus rides to anywhere.

If you go for a train ride to Halle, consider to have your german friend purchase an online train ticket for you and you print the PDF-file (MUST be printed to serve as a ticket). At FRA there is a train ticket counter for long distance trains, but I do not recall where to get it at HAJ (despite HAJ being my home base I only recall automated vending machines, which can get you local tickets and also long distance tickets - but they usually do not operate on Credit Cards).

If you really want to fly into LEJ, you are left with LH from FRA, DUS and MUC, or OS from VIE. 4U via CGN is no real option, and TK via IST is too much of a detour.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

falstaff
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 am

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
No. SkyTeam does not serve LEJ or DRS.

When did AF pull out of LEJ? I don't recall AF mainline flying there anytime recently, but one of their regional operators flew there.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503