coachclass

Have You Applied For Brazil Visa?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 am

I have never been to Brazil, just Argentina in South America. I thought that I'd get a visa to visit Brazil for Carnival but was dissuaded by the visa application process. Among the various requirements are the production of paychecks or three months of bank statements and, in the Miami consulate area, you have to provided your birth certificate in addition to your passport. I know that this visa process is made to be retribution for the process that the US makes Brazilians go through, but I can't see how this encourages American tourism. Argentina, while not requiring a visa does require an entrance/exit fee of $160 USD, equivalent to what an Argentinian has to pay for a US Visa. While I might return to Argentina despite its fee, I think it's too much of a hassle to go to Brazil, especially now that it's not possible to go for Carnival 2013. (I don't know what the status of Chile's visa requirements). Have you gone through the Brazil visa process and is it as bad as it seems?

Akiestar

RE: Have You Applied For Brazil Visa?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am

I have not gone through the Brazilian visa process (Filipinos don't need visas to go to Brazil), but having witnessed the very-tedious-but-thankfully-now-mostly-automated U.S. visa process, if Brazil purposely decided to make it similar to the U.S. process, then I can only imagine what it must be like to apply for a Brazilian visa. Then again, it's likely that Filipinos have higher barriers to climb in applying for a U.S. visa than Brazilians do, so I may be mistaken in my characterization.

VC10BOAC

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Are you sure about all this? If you are a US citizen, you need to provide a US passport, photos, travel itinerary and proof of residence (state driver license would work), along wilh completing an on-line application form. These should all be relatively easy to produce. There is no birth certificate, paycheck or bank statement requirement.

From previous experience, this information can be taken to the nearest consulate, and passport with visa picked up in person the following day depending on the consulate. It is even possible to drop off in the morning and pick up the same afternoon, depending on the consulate.

[Edited 2013-01-09 08:38:02]

IAHFLYR

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Sounds similar if not exactly like the Bolivian visa requirements. I just recently got my visa for a Bolivia trip next week and sent if overnight to the consulate in Washington, D.C. with a pre-paid return envelope for overnight return.

I sent them the passport, vaccination record, the mandated separate single passport type picture, a money order for the processing fee from a bank, copy of a bank statement daily balance for the last month with the account number cut out, the letter from a relative where we are staying and the travel itinerary.

It really didn't take long to gather those things and I got my passport with the visa stamp and vaccination record back in 3 business days. Really simple once you start.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

coachclass

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 2):
There is no birth certificate, paycheck or bank statement requirement.

Go to google and type in: Brazil visa Miami financial requirements. Look specifically for TravelVisaPro. Look specifically at paragraphs 10 and 12. Also Traveldocs.com has similar information. I can't seem to get on Brazil's actual Miami consulate's site, but always referred to 3rd party sites.

You'll see that Miami and Atlanta consulates require proof of financial ability to support oneself while in Brazil. To do that you'll need to disclose your bank account statements for the last three months. Each consulate district seems to have its own specific requirements. As to the birth certificate issue, if you're a resident of Florida, you need to provide a copy of the birth certificate. As much as I complain about the apparent hassle, I'm sure plenty of Floridians are going to Brazil. I still want to see Christ the Redeemer statue atop Mt. Corcovado, so maybe I'll just jump thru the hoops eventually. I'm sure Brazil is worth it.

VC10BOAC

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Well I am not sure why this is the case, I can't think why they would have different requirements depending on state of residence. I got mine from the New York City consulate and it was a quick, hastle-free process. Since this information came from a 3rd party site, you may want to contact the consulate directly for visa requirements.

Brazil is a beautiful country with wonderful people, and it is well worth the visit. As great a country as it is, they must realize that they are not the USA, and this whole practice of imposing visa requirements on US citizens because the US does it to them will continue to cost them a great deal financially in terms of business and tourist revenue. Maybe they should lern a thing or two from Argentina.

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Getting a visa from the consulate in Houston has never been a hassle like that. Usually just an extra passport size photo, your passport, proof of residence, fill out the form and fork over the money. I have had anywhere from 90 day to 5 year visas issued there. If you wish for longer than 90 days, ask them nicely, if they are in a good mood that day you can probably get one.
About a year ago Sec. State Clinton was said to be considering putting Brazil on the visa waiver program, which would help American citizens as well, since the requirement is reciprocal. I have not heard any movement on this front in several months though.

VC10BOAC

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Quoting IAHWorldflyer (Reply 6):
About a year ago Sec. State Clinton was said to be considering putting Brazil on the visa waiver program, which would help American citizens as well, since the requirement is reciprocal. I have not heard any movement on this front in several months though

Don't think this will happen anytime soon. Despite Brazil's rapid industrialization, there are still many desperately poor people there who would give anything to move to the USA. I personally met several Brazilians who want to come here and stay, but cannot because they could not get a tourist visa.

cvg2lga

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 7):
Don't think this will happen anytime soon. Despite Brazil's rapid industrialization, there are still many desperately poor people there who would give anything to move to the USA. I personally met several Brazilians who want to come here and stay, but cannot because they could not get a tourist visa.

Oh, I wish it would! There are probably many folks like myself who would like to move to Brasil & stay.

My tourist visa is set to expire in March, if I find any relevant information I will post it. In 2008, all I had to do was fill out the visa application, take my passport & USPS money order to the Consulate in NY & drop it all off. In 7 days I returned to pick it back up. Since that time, I've enjoyed non-rev benefits that made travel to Brasil simple & extremely inexpensive, and that has enabled me to visit quite a few cities and meet many wonderful people. In 2010/2011 I even lived in the Northeast part of the country for some time. Though I'm an American through & through, my heart never left Brasil. The costs & hassle are WELL worth it. Even if the OP only wants to travel to Rio. Last month I traveled to see Christ the Redeemer and it was a great trip. Due to GIG being a heavy route for both pax & cargo, I only dared make a day trip of it
right before Thanksgiving, due to the light loads. Good luck & use that visa! Remember this, there is more to BR than just
Rio & Sao Paulo. Most people I know only think of visiting those cities. If you can, get into the Northeast. Joao Pessoa is beautiful and a great place to take a vacation. Fortaleza is as well. Manaus can satisfy your adventurous side with the Amazon tours and my friend tells me that Foz do Iguacu is lovely also.

Tchau

DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 am

I got mine at the Brasil Consulate General in Houston and it was fairly hassle free. I did not have to provide the mountain of paperwork you describe. I do remember reading something along the lines of "if you use a visa agent you must provide more info" but part of that was to prove you lived in the Consulate's district IIRC.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

warren747sp

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I just got my visa at the Brazilian consulate in NY now. It takes 3 weeks now for everyone!
747SP