haggisman
Topic Author

In Flight Entertainment Alaska Airlines

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Howdy

We'll be flying On Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Lihue, Hawaii on Jan 24th and I was wondering what the in-flight entertainment options are. The AvGeek in me would also like a moving map of some description too   I read somewhere (mind you, this was 3-year old information) that you had to reserve some kind of entertainment unit prior to your flight leaving. Is this still the case or do they have setback IFE installed yet? We'll be taking a 737-800 both ways and a couple of short hops on Horizon Q400's at the start and end of our trips.

Any information appreciated!

Scotty
e pluribus Scotsman

EA CO AS

RE: In Flight Entertainment Alaska Airlines

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

DigEplayers are the inflight entertainment offered by AS. You can rent the units onboard (first-come, first-served), or reserve them beforehand via the website.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

hiflyeras

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Inflight entertainment to/from Hawaii is a portable media player with over 70 films preloaded...some new releases, lots of recent films as well as classics. Children's programming, music channels, travel and sports programming. They can be shared by two people if desired. They rent for $10. Trying to post a link but seems airliners has a bug. Go to alaskaair.com then Travel Info then On Board then Inflight Entertainment

roseflyer

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:24 pm

No moving maps. Just the portable entertainment player. I personally would save the $10 and just bring an ipad if you have one.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 3):
No moving maps. Just the portable entertainment player. I personally would save the $10 and just bring an ipad if you have one.

No WiFi over the Pacific, though. Depending on how much content you have loaded on the iPad, the $10 rental could be cheaper than paying to download some movies from iTunes.

haggisman
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 3):

Thanks for the information, folks. I think we'll just bring our iPad and a deck of cards along for the trip  

Scotty
e pluribus Scotsman