UA's Fare Lock: Good Idea?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Me personally I think its a good idea, I'm planning a trip to Chicago in May on Frontier via their new TTN-MDW service. I'm ready to pull the trigger but my boss is taking her sweet time approving my vacation. Since then its gone up a total of like $60 bucks due to good bookings, I am able to get it back close to what I was planning on paying but, I have to stay one more night in Chicago. I would love to spend the $20 that UA will offer me to lock it in for a week. (Its 3 tickets BTW). I don't know if it works for UA but I would love to have had that option on F9, I would have taken advantage of it.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

RE: UA's Fare Lock: Good Idea?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 am

I use it periodically, even as a blessed UA Premier member... lol.
If I find an itinerary that I absolutely have to have, exactly the way I want it, but am not quite ready to buy it, I'll go ahead and use fare lock.
Examples of this include waiting for family members to commit to a trip. I have to have them booked on the same itinerary as myself (which wasn't an intuitive one, so it took a lot of work), but they weren't ready to buy it at that exact moment. So, twenty dollars later, I've bought them an extra week. I was glad; the fare went up by $400 before they were ready to pull the trigger.
Also, vacation planning when work is slow to approve LOA, just like your present situation.

Most of the time, I have no use for it... but once in a while, it comes in very handy.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 am

I think its a great idea depending on your circumstances. I've used it multiple times in the past and simply love it because it saved me some $$..Sometimes when you're not 100% sure about a particular flight, this nifty "service" comes in handy.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:38 am

I used it on a DSM-ORD flight this past fall for the first time. My girlfriend was taking her sweet time figuring out plans (unlike me), I told her I have to buy now because it's really cheap. She was like, well I'll figure it out tomorrow then. She just didn't get it. So I did a fare lock for both of us for like $10 bucks each that night and sure enough, the price doubled the next day. It's really nice and prevented any further discussion at that minute. Otherwise, we just wouldn't have gone.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

They are not the only ones. KL has the option called "Time to Think". GBP15 per adult ticket guarantees the price for (I think) 2 weeks.

Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI