mikeology
Topic Author

Which Carrier Would You Take To MNL From SFO?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Planning a Philippines trip with my friend this summer end of July to be specific. Just wanted everyones take on what I should try.

Key notes

Dont want to fly PR

Plan to fly in Y. No J or F

Already earn miles with oneworld so wouldn't mind adding on

Layovers are fine and wouldn't mind spending a few days in a different Asian city

aloges

RE: Which Carrier Would You Take To MNL From SFO?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Quoting mikeology (Thread starter):
Dont want to fly PR
(...)
Already earn miles with oneworld so wouldn't mind adding on

Layovers are fine and wouldn't mind spending a few days in a different Asian city

All of that really screams "Cathay Pacific" at me.

Alternatively, you could try MAS from LAX, but that detour (plus the one to KUL instead of HKG) would be too long for my taste to even try pricing it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aerorobnz

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Just wanted everyones take on what I should try.

I did a quick search for random dates at end of july CA was cheapest, then KE, then CX was about $450 more. SQ was actually cheaper than CX and EK was only about another $300 more than CX..... A stopover in DXB could be interesting...

CX or JL are the obvious 2 options given that you have ruled out PR (which are perfectly acceptable compared to UA for example in Y) and have oneworld miles. MU Is an option too I guess, but you might need a visa if you want to spend a stopover in China.

I'm a star alliance man myself, so for the money I'd just go on SQ or NH...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

mikeology
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 1):
All of that really screams "Cathay Pacific" at me.

Just realized it kinda does.

Alternatively, you could try MAS from LAX, but that detour (plus the one to KUL instead of HKG) would be too long for my taste to even try pricing it.

I did look at that and found the price attractive just a matter of adding a flight to LAX.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 2):
A stopover in DXB could be interesting...

As much as i'd like to take the 8th longest currentyl active flight not sure im up for it  
I'm a star alliance man myself, so for the money I'd just go on SQ or NH...

Any thoughts on OZ. Not many tr's of them long haul in Y but was considering them

aerorobnz

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Quoting mikeology (Reply 3):
Any thoughts on OZ. Not many tr's of them long haul in Y but was considering them

A high standard of service I believe, yet I seem to overlook them because they don't fly to my home port potentially with the option to OJ out of CEB as well, although CX can offer that too.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

brilondon

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 am

You could always try JL, CX, Thai if you would not mind connecting in another airport.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

MHG

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:45 pm

I tried CX once (SFO-HKG-CEB) and unless they exchange their Y-Class seats I´m not going to consider them again. Period.

So, I´d suggest choosing MH (via KUL) if the price is ok.
They may not be the cheapest but the whole package (hard product plus soft product) is way better than CX.
... and KUL might be an interesting stopover city as well (much less expensive than - say - HKG/SIN).

And finally: MH just recently joined Oneworld ...

Well, I´ve never flown JL but would give them a try.

[Edited 2013-02-28 13:47:02]
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

LAXintl

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Tons of choices.

- CX via HKG
- KE or OZ via ICN
- Joint UA/NH via NRT
- CI/BR via TPE
- etc..

And for all the folks above that mention JAL -- they cant be an option from SFO. JAL no longer serves SFO-NRT. They have a Haneda flight now, but their MNL services are all from NRT.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

roadrunner165

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:51 am

Ever consider SFO-HNL-MNL? I love Hawaii as a transfer point going to the Philippines. Fly domestic to Honolulu then overnight in Waikiki. The following day catch the Hawaiian Airlines flight to MNL.

And why no desire to fly PR?

Also, are you planning to stay in Manila during your visit? Given any consideration to Cebu?

Adam

[Edited 2013-02-28 18:55:23]

Akiestar

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:06 am

Dont want to fly PR

I am curious as well: why not? PR has significantly improved their trans-Pacific product in the last 3-5 years, including nose-to-tail AVOD on 747s and improved catering options.

airportugal310

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Quoting roadrunner165 (Reply 8):

Good call...I was going to mention the same (for obvious reasons) but also bc I checked and it appears the connections may work both ways.

Plus you'll get an A330 on SFO-HNL-SFO (11/12)
MNL might be A330 too but not sure. Can't remember at the moment
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

roadrunner165

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 am

Paging Mikeology, paging Mikeology. Please report back to your thread for its immediate and on-time departure....

rwsea

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 pm

CX seems to be the no-brainer, as HKG is a great city and CX is a very good carrier.

Quoting mikeology (Reply 3):

Another good option. I think that CX is a better airline than OZ, but the Seoul hub is very nice. Seoul is a nice city too.

CXB77L

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Quoting MHG (Reply 6):
I tried CX once (SFO-HKG-CEB) and unless they exchange their Y-Class seats I´m not going to consider them again. Period.

Which Y class seats are you not fond of?

They recently refreshed their entire long haul hard product range (J, W and Y are new, F remains the same as it has been since 2008). Regional product is probably nothing to write home about, but I find their long haul Y seats to be exemplary.
Boeing 777 fanboy

je89_w
Crew

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Layovers are fine

OK, then what about the famous Island Hopper?

SFO-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-MNL

mikeology
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 10):
Plus you'll get an A330 on SFO-HNL-SFO (11/12)
MNL might be A330 too but not sure. Can't remember at the moment

I believe its all A330's

Quoting roadrunner165 (Reply 8):
Ever consider SFO-HNL-MNL? I love Hawaii as a transfer point going to the Philippines. Fly domestic to Honolulu then overnight in Waikiki. The following day catch the Hawaiian Airlines flight to MNL.

And why no desire to fly PR?

Also, are you planning to stay in Manila during your visit? Given any consideration to Cebu?

Yes i've considered that and wouldn't mind doing so. Just haven't heard a lot of grea things about PR.

Yes I would stay in Manila but would plan to see Cebu for a day or two

Quoting je89_w (Reply 14):
OK, then what about the famous Island Hopper?

SFO-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-MNL

That would be awesome.   But how would one go about booking that?

PI4EVER

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm

You can book the "Island Hopper" using the UA website. The flight ops from HNL on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays for a same day connection in GUM on to MNL. You will need to fly SFO-HNL and overnight as this flight departs HNL early in the morning depending on day of week....0525 or 0600.
Use the "Multiple Destination" link on the UAL website and book it by entering SFO-HNL, HNL-MNL with the day of departure from HNL obviously having to be a Mon, Wed or Fri. If you fly from SFO to HNL and spend less than 24hours in HNL you fare will be calculated as a connection not a stopover.
This will of course offset your OneWorld mileage accrual so definitely factor in the benefit of continuing to accrual mileage in your primary program.
That said, the "Island Hopper" is an unusual way to fly across the Pacific and is a long day of flying to GUM....14+hours plus the add-on to MNL but may be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to see these beautiful Pacific Island atolls. There is meal and beverage service on the flight and the GUM-based crews are friendly and professional, and very proud of this renowned airline service begun by Continental as "Air Micronesia" flying DC-6's and 727's.
One bit of advice. It can be a long and bumpy ride during Typhoon season across the mid-Pacific, but these crews are well experienced veterans who fly safe. It is quite an adventure in a 737-800 all the way to MNL!
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

jetblue777

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 am

I flew on OZ in 2009 from JFK-ICN-MNL roundtrip, and I have to say that they are the best airline I've flown with, and they are certainly above SQ in my opinion. ICN is also a great airport to deal with, although SIN is better IMO. I'd go with either OZ or SQ.

Here's my TR a while back on my OZ trip

50 Days In Asia W/ A 5-Star Airline: Part 1 (pics) (by JetBlue777 Sep 2 2010 in Trip Reports)
50 Days In Asia W/ A 5-Star Airline: Part 3 (pics) (by JetBlue777 Oct 24 2010 in Trip Reports)

My dad has personally tried EWR-IAH-HNL-GUM-MNL, I guess you could also do the same routing starting in SFO. It did gave him major jet lag but a lot of star alliance miles lol. 

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.