Topic Author
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Talk About A Run Of Bad Luck!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 am

So, firstly, this isn't a specific trip report, more one about the run of bad luck I've had on my last five trips. I've been a frequent traveller now for around 23 years and until the middle of last year, I'd copped for a couple of short delays but now, I'm really thinking it's time for 'stay cations'!

In July last year, we were due to fly LH from ATH-FRA-EDI : we boarded on time in ATH but then a fault in the Munich ATC delayed our departure by 70 minutes and upon approach to FRA, we were advised that EDI pax had been rebooked onto the following days flight. Upon arrival in FRA, the flight to EDI was also delayed so we could easily have made it, however, the rebooking wheels were already in motion, and we watched our flight to EDI leave without us. We were treated to an overnight stay in a grotty hotel and arrived home 19 hours late!

In October, we were flying A3 from LHR-ATH-JMK. Our departure was inexplicably delayed leaving LHR by 90 minutes, making our 90 minute connection in ATH look highly unlikely. We arrived in ATH where, to cut a long story short, we stumbled across the most unhelpful staff on the planet. We had arrived with just 6 minutes to go, yet despite our JMK flight being delayed by 25 minutes, thanks to the complete lack of assistance to expedite our passage through customs and security, we missed the bus to the remote stand by seconds and ended up in the Sofitel ATH in preparation for the early flight the following morning. Ironically, our bags did in fact make the connection and landed in JMK well ahead of us. We arrived some 12 hours later than planned then spent 45 minutes waiting to be reunited with our luggage.

In December, we were booked to fly EDI-AMS-VIE. Upon arrival at EDI, we were greeted by the news that all bar one KLM flights from EDI that day were cancelled due to weather in AMS. Having queued for 2 hours at the Servisair ticket counter waiting to be rebooked, yet only advancing around 20% of our way up the queue, we decided to make our own arrangements, and spent £1000 for 2 singles with BA via LHR. We made our way to the gate where we waited for around 90 minute, watching as a group of engineers peered into the fan of the 767's no 2 engine. Minutes later came the announcement that that flight was cancelled too! We ended up rebooked onto the next flight and next connecting flight, finally arriving in VIE 7 hours late.

In January, our flight from GLA-STN was delayed by an hour due to an ATC strike in France causing delays to the aircraft earlier in the day.

And now, today, as I sit in seat 1A of my flight to LHR, we've been told there's a slot delay of 70 minutes, just long enough to ensure we miss our connection in to BCN .... the irony is that until Tuesday this week, we were to have travelled via LCY but that flight was cancelled due to the strike by IB ground staff who handle many of the BA flights in Spain.

I really do think it might be time to give travelling a break!

Have any of you folks had similar runs of bad luck?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am

RE: Talk About A Run Of Bad Luck!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Hey Yodobashi!

That's really bad luck. I've never been on a cancelled flight so far. Maybe you keep trying until one trip go smoothly!

Regards, joaquin
Posts: 14842
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:38 am

RE: Talk About A Run Of Bad Luck!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm

In similar ways, I've discovered that travelling in January or early February is not always the best idea:

I was to start the year with a business trip flying FRA-IAD-MDT on United after taking the train from Cologne to Frankfurt. The nature of my business means that most of my trips may be delayed by one day, with contingencies planned and reserved etc. However, this was one of those few trips where that wasn't supposed to be the case; it was still planned for, but not at all expected. Which meant, of course, that the trains didn't run as scheduled.    There was some sort of damage to the catenary, which meant that this very major trunk route was open in only one direction - not mine, obviously... so trains had to queue up and sneak past the problematic track segment one by one. End of story: I arrived at FRA just in time to wave that UA 777 goodbye as it pushed back. I spent a night in the vicinity of the airport and then took the LH flight to IAD, so I got to try the 747-8I - and all else was well in the end, too.

Fast forward two weeks and I was making one of those trips of which you dream for years, but hardly ever get around to: island hopping in the English Channel: FRA-LHR, bus to Portsmouth, overnight, free in Portsmouth until afternoon, SOU-ACI-GCI on a Trislander, overnight, GCI-JER on a Jetstream, overnight, JER-SEN-train-STN-CGN. That worked out perfectly until I woke up to an inch of snow on Guernsey... and nobody went anywhere that day. The few flights that did take off had a decent chance of returning and the ferry didn't run either, due to wind. I checked in for a total of four flights to JER that day and none of them took off... fortunately, GCI isn't too bad an airport to get stuck at. After a brief "Where's my suitcase?!" scare in the evening and a great taste of island hospitality (I mean that, no irony), I finally managed to board another Trislander to JER the next morning. The rest of the trip did go as planned... but now I've got a ticket from GCI to JER lying around.

As for February, that started with another business trip, Cologne-FRA-CLT-JAN this time. The important bit (the outbound) went as planned, I had a good time driving around and was back at the airport for the trip home with much time to spare. The gate agent went on to ask for volunteers who'd be willing to give up their seats on the flight to CLT; since I had far too much time to make my connection, I decided to take the chance - there was going to be another flight which would still get me there in time, easily. That one, of course, got cancelled due to weather, so I got stuck in Jackson for another night. Fortunately, however, I did remember to ask the staff at check-in about standing by for an earlier flight to CLT the next day. They were able to give me a confirmed seat on what turned out to be the flight that I needed to be on, the other one was delayed so much that it would have made me miss my connection. It wasn't the best travel experience, but at least I got a big, fat voucher out of it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos