Gonzalo
Topic Author

Who Has The Best Balance Between O&D And Hubbing?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello all. After reading some passionate discussions in other threads here, with several candidates to be "the biggest hubbing airport", or "the best O&D destination", it looks very clear ( to my limited knowledge ) that almost every major airport have a majority of traffic for one side or the other, but it is not so clear ( again, to me ) who has the best balance between this two "types" of traffic, which I guess will be the best possible scenario for an airport ( because this will provide some protection if a big downturn affects one of the "types" of traffic ).
In some threads I read, I get the impression, for example, that LHR has its best numbers due to O&D traffic, and hubbing goes behind. Other airports with an *apparent imbalance* are MAD, FRA, CDG, DXB and IST.
One could think that JFK could have a good balance since a lot of people has New York as final destination, but also a big number of people can use JFK to make connections to other U.S. cities....

So, according to your very informed and generous insight : Who has the best balance between O&D // Hubbing ??
And, is really and advantage to have that balance ?? Or is not that relevant ??

Thanks in advance !!

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

point2point

RE: Who Has The Best Balance Between O&D And Hubbi

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 pm

In this day and age, the more the O&D is, the better the balance. O&D is where the best $$$$ are for the carriers.

CXA330300

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

In the US, WN does a really good job of balancing O&D and hubbing in their major cities - particularly in MDW, LAS, LAX, and BWI from my own experience.

As for airports, HKG seems to do fairly well, as does ORD.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

bobnwa

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
Who has the best balance between O&D // Hubbing ??

What do you consider the best balance, 50/50?

gabrielchew

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Other airports with an *apparent imbalance* are MAD, FRA, CDG, DXB and IST.

I think CDG like LHR have a good mix of O&D and hubbing. London and Paris are both hugely popular destinations, but both also have big airlines. NRT is probably similar, with lots of inbound tourists and business to Tokyo, as well as lots of US-Asia pax passing through. Same again with HKG (lots of O&D, but a massive airline busy hubbing).

FRA, the only other European heavyweight, I think has a lot more hubbing than O&D. IST and DXB are heavily skewed towards hubbing (possibly with a stopover though).

And, is really and advantage to have that balance ?? Or is not that relevant ??

Whislt it's generally true that O&D bring more $$$, it's good not to reply totally on one or the other. Maybe 75:25% skewed towards O&D would be a good mix.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: LGW-OPO-LGW,LHR-FCO-CTA-LIN-LCY,LHR-AMS-GRQ-SEN,LTN-CPH-LHR-ORD

Viscount724

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm

And, is really an advantage to have that balance ?? Or is not that relevant ??

I'm assuming you are referring to advantages for the airport, not the airlines? I don't really see why an airport would care much whether it's traffic is O&D or hub-and-spoke as they're still generating basically the same revenue from every flight (landing fees, terminal charges etc.) It does makea difference in terms of airport facilities, for example an airport with mostly connecting traffic doesn't need to devote as much space to check-in, baggage claim, customs/immigration etc..

If most passengers are connecting they need more space for lounges, food services and simiilar facilities since passengers are spending more time at the airport.

LAXintl

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:28 am

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 4):
IST and DXB are heavily skewed towards hubbing (possibly with a stopover though).

Not at IST.

Per TK annual report - international-international transfers represented only 23% of its traffic in 2012.

You are forgetting Turkey has a huge home market (population 73mil), and also is one of the worlds top tourism markets.

O&D makes up the bulk of traffic from Istanbul, especially when you add in activity at the secondary airport of SAW home to carriers like Pegasus.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TS-IOR

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I guess FRA with a significant hubbing flow, intra-Germany to and from Frankfurt area, intra-Europe to and from Frankfurt area, and international business travelers or vacationers.