tommybp251b

Doublename On Booking- Question

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey Everybody,

my wife and me are planing to fly to USA in September. We are from Germany. My wife's last name is a doublename, let's say for example it is Smith-Miller.
I typed that Name with a hyphen into the booking form on BA.com and on our E-ticket my wifes last name is written like this: Smithmiller. I dont get why BA puts the name without a hyphen on the ticket.

Will that cause us any problems, due to the fact the name on the ticket is not 100% like the name in her passport? On the ESTA Application for the Visa-waiver programm my wife's last name is written correctly.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Tom
Tom from Cologne

Viscount724

RE: Doublename On Booking- Question

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Quoting TommyBP251b (Thread starter):
I dont get why BA puts the name without a hyphen on the ticket.

I don't think the reservations systems permit punctuation within a name. They're probably programmed to delete it. So Smith-Jones would appear as SMITHJONES and O'Malley would appear as "OMALLEY".

offloaded

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Viscount724 is totally correct. You will have no problems.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

LAXintl

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 am

Also if you look at the bottom of the passport where the machine readable data is, the name should also appear without hyphen.

Here in the US atleast more and more government IT systems run the names together as well so more and more people are actually using the combined name now in day to day practice as they have to when doing things like open bank account, or receive work paychecks etc as such is viewed as their legal name.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California