MH017
Topic Author

Which Boneyards Are Worth Visiting?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Will be leaving for CA/AZ/NV next week and plan to pass some boneyards/storage airfields...high on the list are Mohave, Victorville and Pima Air Museum. Any other suggestions regarding airports in above mentioned states, also interesting aviation museums, I would (otherwise) miss ?

No doubt some knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help a 1st timer European to this part of the US !  

Thanks !!!
don't throw away tomorrow !

aklrno

RE: Which Boneyards Are Worth Visiting?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 am

Would you call it a boneyard if they only have a few aircraft? If so, try the California Science Center in downtown Los Angeles. They have the space shuttle Endeavour on display. They also have an A-12, the precursor to the SR-71 and a few other things.

Braniff747SP

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 am

Quoting MH017 (Thread starter):
also interesting aviation museums, I would (otherwise) miss ?

Yes. The Flight Path museum at LAX--flightpath.us--is fantastic.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

aklrno

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):

Quoting MH017 (Thread starter):
also interesting aviation museums, I would (otherwise) miss ?

Yes. The Flight Path museum at LAX--flightpath.us--is fantastic.

Except for the chance to walk into a DC-3 I think Flightpath is mostly airline memorabilia and LA airport history. No aircraft to see other than the DC-3. I was there a few weeks ago because I had a couple of hours to kill before showing up at my relatives house. All in all I'd rather spend an hour at Fry's Electronics.

Braniff747SP

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 3):
Except for the chance to walk into a DC-3 I think Flightpath is mostly airline memorabilia and LA airport history. No aircraft to see other than the DC-3. I was there a few weeks ago because I had a couple of hours to kill before showing up at my relatives house. All in all I'd rather spend an hour at Fry's Electronics.

No aircraft to see except what's on the ramp... One isn't going to get closer to anything taking off unless you have a SIDA badge. Worth doing as a part of a combo; In N Out, Flight Path, and Imperial Hill.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

MH017
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 4):
Worth doing as a part of a combo; In N Out, Flight Path, and Imperial Hill.

Might do that, indeed...

Any fields in AZ, like Avra or anything around PHX ?
don't throw away tomorrow !

MSPNWA

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting MH017 (Reply 5):

I haven't been there, but if I was near Phoenix, I'd check out GYR.

Elsewhere in AZ, I've been by IGM. And from recent pictures it looks like there's many more airplanes there now than when I drove by.

rwy04lga

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am

In N Out

On Sepulveda at W 92 street, just north of the extended centerline or LAX runway 24R. Planes will be between you and the sun.

Imperial Hill.

Opposite 426 East Imperial Ave (corner of Sheldon St), El Segundo CA. Bring binoculars and/or a long lens.

Also, The Proud Bird (http://www.theproudbird.com/proudbird/default.aspx) restaurant has some interesting planes and a great place to spot LAX 25L from. The long-term parking lot is right near there, that's EXCELLENT for spotting 25L.

I went to VCV, but left disappointed.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

YVRLTN

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 am

Quoting MH017 (Reply 5):

Driving from PHX to Grand Canyon, you go right past Valle airport, which is home to:

http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=valle-az-location

Not a huge selection of aircraft, but there is an active Ford Tri-Motor there sometimes and when I was there they just started on restoring a B-50. Theres a nice Connie, Martin 404 and other stuff there. Wouldnt specifically go there, but well worth stopping at if you are going to GCN - which is a natural wonder of the world well worth seeing.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR