Pe@rson
Topic Author

1h Connection In FRA With LH?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi folks,

I have flown LH a few times but always on a local basis. I'm now thinking about flying them IST-FRA-LHR, but I would only have a 1-hour connection in FRA. Assuming an on-time arrival, is this likely to be achieved?

Thanks!

James.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

wilco737

RE: 1h Connection In FRA With LH?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
Assuming an on-time arrival, is this likely to be achieved?

Yes, when the flight is on time, then it is managable. If the flight is delayed, it is getting tough. FRA can be bad at times. Long walks, sometimes long lines.

I personally give me more than one hour in FRA when I am connecting there.

As long as the flight is on time your chances are good to catch the flight to LHR.

wilco737

reifel

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Agree as said above. But there is not much leeway... Remember you also need to pass security check in FRA.
The problem with IST is, that you usually get a bus gate in FRA. Which is obviously more time consuming.
LHR is usually departing at a B gate, which does not involve tooo much walking.

To be honest I am not too sure about paths for Nonschengen to Nonschangen transfers. I usually depart/arrive in FRA.
Maybe someone else can help. I am not sure what happens in case the bus is dropping you at A and you need to go to B. The tunnel between both terminals is Schengen (unless there is a secone one for non schengen?), so I believe this requires to take the train shuttle which runs a wagon in transit?

TS-IOR

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm

You may check Frankfurt Airport website and you will find all tips regarding transfer. I remember they advertise a-1-hour transit time as enough... but that's what they say  
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

aklrno

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

You might make it. I have done a 1 hour transit for a trip from IST to ORD but it involved a special LH bus to the special fast connection passport control, another bus, and a rushed walk to the departure gate. I'd prefer to have 2 hours. The good news for you is that there are probably a lot of FRA-LHR flights.

If you are flying early in the day, its worth a try. If you are flying at the end of the day when delays are most common and backup plans get scarce you are making a mistake.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I decided against risking it and taking LH this time.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LH526
Crew

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 2):
Agree as said above. But there is not much leeway... Remember you also need to pass security check in FRA.

FRA has special fast-lanes open for all classes of connecting flights on a tight schedule. Your flight is displayd on screens above the screening lanes tellig you if your soon-to-depart flight enables you to us said fast-lanes.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

reifel

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:14 pm

I know about these lines, about I always saw them when going from Landside to airside. Never saw them when I connected, i.e. there is none of those lines when coming down the stairs from B /Nonschengen, where there is a security checkpoint on the right which leads to the Schengen B-Gates...

AR385

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 am

It´s barely doable. You can forget it if any little thing goes wrong.