Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Would a different method of payment work for certain airlines.
Lets say Ryanair starting a new route which would have a "weak" start.
Have a section of the airlines website dedicated to certain routes having a % or the whole lot of the capacity available to haggle on.You could have a reserve based on the airline breaking even when a certain amount of seats are sold.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Airlines have tried it before on a small scale. From the airline's point-of-view you would want an auction where people bid a maximum price and when the plane fills up people start to get bumped off based on their maximum bid, but I think the concept is not one that the customer would really understand or like because you could not guarantee your seat very easily.

So, it could work like this:

JFK-LAX; 100 coach seats to sell at 0930 on May 16th; Minimum Bid: $25

Customer bid/maximum bid: $25/$100

Now 99 other people bid. When the 101st person bids the lowest price maximum bidder is bumped. Theoretically this could be workable if it was only part of the plane AND you stopped selling seats at 21 days prior so people would no know whether they were going or not. The other problem is that if the flight were being sold elsewhere via normal channels it would create a problem as people would stop bidding and go over there if it were cheaper there.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I took this to be a discussion about airlines selling used seats on ebay.
My bad.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 am

I think it is great to fill a plane at the last moment, but it may create situations where you discourage early booking as people wait for auction. You would also need a buy now button for people no willing to gamble on not getting the seat, but buys at the last 5-7 days like many business travelers do. Later tickets sold to business travelers are also what generates profits for flights as they do pay premiums

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:39 am

Wouldn't it be much better to offer tickets at a price resulting from supply and demand, with an ideal load factor of 90% as a target? If flights fill up quickly the price goes up, if there are few bookings the price goes down or the route gets downgraded / terminated.

Oh wait, there are already airlines doing this. Like, almost every airline.

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home