lobeam
Topic Author

Immigration Lines At JFK

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the immigration lines at JFK. I am bringing my mother from abroad for treatment at a hospital. We will be arriving at Terminal 1 at JFK which, according to my experience several times, will involve a 1 to 2 hours wait at the immigration lines (we are not US citizens).

Here is the problem: My mother cannot stand right for a prolonged time, she suffers significant pain. Hence I want her (and me, since she cannot speak English) to skip the lines. I think we have two options: First, I think I can get a letter from the U.S. hospital explaining her condition and asking for arrangements during her travel. My worry is that immigration officers who direct visitor to lines just won't care about this. Second, I think we might ask for wheelchair for her. I wonder whether this would be acceptable since she is not too old and there is no problem with her legs.

What would you suggest? I know this is a personal question but it might be relevant to other people who might confront a similar situation. Thanks!

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Immigration Lines At JFK

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 am

Quoting lobeam (Thread starter):
Here is the problem: My mother cannot stand right for a prolonged time, she suffers significant pain. Hence I want her (and me, since she cannot speak English) to skip the lines. I think we have two options: First, I think I can get a letter from the U.S. hospital explaining her condition and asking for arrangements during her travel. My worry is that immigration officers who direct visitor to lines just won't care about this. Second, I think we might ask for wheelchair for her. I wonder whether this would be acceptable since she is not too old and there is no problem with her legs.

We brought my 85 year old grandfather through immigration in NAS. We requested a wheelchair be present at the gate whe we arrived and, with him in the wheelchair, we bypassed all the lines at immigration. If you can get a wheelchair for her to meet your mother at the gate upon your arrival, you should be able to get through immigration quicker as they shouldn't make you wait in the long lines with a medical condition. Also, when you request a wheelchair, they don't ask many questions about her conditions. If you ask for a wheelchair they should get you one without a problem.

Hope this helps!  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

copter808

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 am

Reply 1 has the correct answer. A letter from a doctor/hospital might be good if you can get it, but probably not necessary.

B747forever

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 am

Quoting lobeam (Thread starter):
will involve a 1 to 2 hours wait at the immigration lines (we are not US citizens

You say that you are not a citizen, but your profile says you are from the US, so maybe you are a permanent resident? If so, you can still use the line for US citizens.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BigTom

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Generally there is no problem if you request wheelchair assistance through the airline when booking your flights, I know a few seniors who have done this and got through the lines at JFK.

reifel

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Right, just order a Wheelchair help with your airline, which is free of charge and in this case for sure legit. It will also help you bypass the line and use a special disabled counter.