Luxair747SP
Topic Author

Connection IAD-DCA

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am

Hi guys,

I found an interesting connection in the internet, where i have FRA-IAD/DCA-EWR-EZE.
Some questions: Is it possible to make the Washington connection withing 3h14?
Do I get other flights if i miss it? ( as everything is on one ticket)
Is a 90min national-international connection doable in EWR ( or will i be rebooked if that is missed? )

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Johannes
My blog about travelling in Moscow & Russia:
https://russiainanutshell.wordpress.com

flylku

RE: Connection IAD-DCA

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Wow!!!! Three hours and fourteen minutes is doable if you arrive on time. I would take the Flyer Shuttle for about 10 USD from IAD to the West Falls Church metro stop. It leaves every half hour. And takes 20 minutes. From there I would take the Orange line metro towards town to the Rosslyn metro stop and transfer to the Blue line (lower level) to National Airport. From the stop you walk right into the terminal and security is fairly brisk.

But why would you go from IAD, a UA hub to DCA to take a flight to another UA hub...EWR? The are certainly numerous IAD flights to EWR and UA serves EZE from IAD anyway.

Good luck.
...are we there yet?

threeifbyair

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:52 am

You might want to take a cab - the cost is estimated to be $62. Even in traffic, it will probably be faster than public transportation (which will still cost ~$15-20) because you won't have to wait for the bus-to-subway and subway-to-subway connections.

http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_rate.htm

bennator

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:18 am

If you haven't booked this, I would reconsider. Although the connection times by cab, etc., might be doable, any delay in arrival, or long queue at immigration would really screw things up. Although, being on a single ticket, you should be taken care of if things don't go, you may get stuck in DC or New York for a day waiting for your next flight.

Boston

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:04 am

I hope you haven't booked the ticket yet, cause I highly suggest you find a different itinerary. It's possible you would make the connection if and only if you're arriving flight is on time and your EWR flight is delayed a bit. When I flew into IAD from LHR, we arrived with a number of other flights from Europe and it took forever to clear customs. We waited almost an hour because there were so many pax and not enough custom agents. Granted that was the only time I've flown intl through IAD so maybe that was just a random bad day. You should easily be able to book a reservation with an IAD-EWR or IAD-IAH leg that will get you onto the EZE flight. My advice is to skip the whole IAD-DCA transfer and just book a reservation with and IAD-IAH leg so you could possibly get a 764, which is getting harder and harder to find domestic heavies in the USA. Good luck and keep us posted!

WROORD

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:16 am

IAD tends to have slow and long immigration lines, so if you arrive on an international flight you maybe cutting it close.
I would take a cab to Roslyn metro stop so you do not waste time for looking and waiting for a bus and use the metro for the rest of the trip - it should not take longer than 25-30 minutes. Metro goes pretty fast and as pointed earlier you walk over the bridge and you are inside DCA. Make sure it says Blue towards Franconia/Springflied. UA recently moved in DCA to pier 1 in Terminal B which if you cross the bridge to the terminal you need to go to your right.