Akiestar
Topic Author

How Would You Spend Your (Long) Layover?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi guys. I figured that since I have a very long layover coming up, I'd like to ask the rest of you on A.net you would spend your long layover (more than 4-5 hours), if you had one. Will you stay in the airport, go into town, planespot, etc.? 

MesaFlyGuy

RE: How Would You Spend Your (Long) Layover?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:52 am

For me, it all depends on the time of day and airport layout.

I would find a good place to grab a bite to eat and go planespotting for the majority of the time, and then head over to the gate and relax a little before boarding.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

jetblueguy22

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 am

The Skydeck at the new DL JFK terminal! My stepfather flew out of JFK on Saturday and sent me a picture. Looks awesome! He said it was nice to be outside before spending 12 hours in a 747. My back up would be the Skyclub in MSP. I know there is nothing extravagant about it, but MSP is like my home away from home. Love the airport and the skyclub is a nice play to chill out, do some studying, eat a couple snacks, and get ready for the next leg!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

cinja

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 am

Agreed that much depends on the length of the layover and the airport. Anything less than 5 hours, I would just stay in the airport and explore, but I am one of those rare cases that actually love being in airports, especially those with observation decks. I often schedule connecting flights with a 3-4 hour layover so I can relax watching the movements before boarding the second leg.

When the layover is longer, then I would consider options in the city, particularly if there was a good public transit connection. For example, if you were in ATL for 12 hours, you could get downtown fairly quickly and do some touring or maybe see a Braves game if the schedule was agreeable.

In August, I have a 10-hour layover at LAX as part of my move from Singapore to New York. In that case, I will pay for a day-use hotel (which has a free shuttle) to freshen up and grab a nap, before heading over to In-N-Out for a Double Double and a bit of spotting, returning to the airport a couple of hours before departure.

777ER
Crew

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:29 pm

All of my long lay overs (8-10 hours) have been at LAX. I always go to the park beside In n Out and just lie down and relax while watching the planes fly over for a few hours till it starts getting dark. Once the sun goes down I head back to my next departing terminal and explore/walk around the terminal.

This time (Saturday) I'm staying the night in an airport hotel before flying to Miami via DEN and IAH with a B787 sector on Sunday. Either head into town or just walk along a near by beach this time
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

MIAspotter

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:52 pm

I have an upcoming BCN-DOH-SIN flight for August and it includes an 8 hr layover in DOH (Darn those cheap tickets) and since the layover is during the night there is no point on heading into Doha, so I will shell out 45$ and enter the Oryx Lounge for a shower and a more comfortable wait.

On the way back I have a more bog standard 2hr layover.

Other times I had layovers they have been very short so I stayed and explored the airport (ATL, EWR, MUC) except one time when I had like a 5 hour layover in ZRH and popped into the city for a quick look thanks to the wonderful train services.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

DesertAir

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 am

When I had a long layover in AMS after a long flight from California on KLM, I rented a wonderful bathroom to shave and shower...I was tired but refreshed, took some exercise walking around the airport, ate a great meal, had some Dutch coffee and I was ready for the next flight.

Akiestar
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 6):
I rented a wonderful bathroom to shave and shower

Is this in a lounge? o_____O

If it isn't, I'd like to know where this bathroom is! 

airevents

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Akiestar, it would be interesting to hear where you get to spend your layover. It depends a lot on the airport that you are transiting through. If you let us know the airport, I am sure you will get many more answers!
www.airevents.com

747m8te

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Go and relax in the airline lounge, with a few glasses of wine and nibbles, a good book or a dvd and im all set   ...and planespotting inbetween if the lounge has a good view  
Flown on:DHC8Q200,DHC8Q400,EMB145,E170,E190,A320,A332,A333,A343,A380,MD80,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763

Akiestar
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Quoting airevents (Reply 8):
Akiestar, it would be interesting to hear where you get to spend your layover. It depends a lot on the airport that you are transiting through. If you let us know the airport, I am sure you will get many more answers!

I have quite a few: my most recent one will be NGO this Sunday, and if you have suggestions I am more than open.  (I have a thread on it on FlyerTalk: visit here.)

I can share some of my own layover experiences though:

*LIN-AMS-TPE-MNL (last April): six-hour layover in AMS; visited Leiden and met a friend for lunch

*LIS-MAD-FRA-WAW (April last year): five-hour layover in MAD; slept in the airport as it was late at night

*JFK-FCO-VIE-WAW (February last year): eight-hour layover in FCO; visited the Vatican, saw the city, got my phone stolen on my way back to the airport

*MNL-AMS-OTP-TLV v/v (August 2011): six-hour layover in OTP outbound, five-hour layover in AMS inbound; slept in the airport as it was late at night

For layovers less than four hours (I've done three-hour layovers in PEK, CDG, CPH, DUS, AMS, FRA, MUC and DTW), I just look around the airport, get a quick bite to eat, and take photos of planes.  

[Edited 2013-06-10 11:02:26]

DesertAir

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 7):
If it isn't, I'd like to know where this bathroom is! 

If I remember correctly it was in Concorse C. It was the best $20 I have spent. It was not a lounge but open to all.

airevents

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am

Well NGO is quite a long drive from the city, about an hour´s drive. Then downtown Nagoya is not really that spectacular. I would spend some time on the fantastic observation deck that they have in NGO and try to get a hold of some yummy Japanese food. That should keep you busy. I enjoyed the observation deck there tremendously.
www.airevents.com

Akiestar
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Quoting airevents (Reply 12):
Well NGO is quite a long drive from the city, about an hour´s drive. Then downtown Nagoya is not really that spectacular. I would spend some time on the fantastic observation deck that they have in NGO and try to get a hold of some yummy Japanese food. That should keep you busy. I enjoyed the observation deck there tremendously.

My layover in NGO is nine hours. No way am I staying in the airport.  

I'm planning to see Inuyama Castle, take a peek around the city, get something to eat and do some shopping (including some green tea Kit-Kat and additional iTunes credit).

aerorobnz

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:06 am

If flying on Star on outbound, I go to the gold lounge.If not, I sit watching planes from terminal, or indeed from a decent outdoor spot of near the terminal. I've slept in terminals in every continent as well but now I usually aim for long day time transfers.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.