lax888
Topic Author

Experiences With Cuzco Airport

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 am

Hi there,

I saw that for Cuzco airport there are only flights departing during daylight hours. Is the airport not equipped to handle departures during the night?

Also does someone have information on how reliable flights are during February? I read that delays are common and was wondering if they are because of the heavy rain or what the reason for the delays usually are.

I am booked on a 13.15 departure and was wondering if for example the flight is delayed past 3pm (when the last flight is scheduled to depart for Lima) if the flight can still depart or if it will be cancelled.

Also can someone share travel experiences with the airport?

Also does someone know if they can do through check-in from Taca to United? It is all booked under one ticket but the connection is around 10 hours between flights.

Thanks a lot.
LAX888

[Edited 2013-06-26 03:10:58]

fallap

RE: Experiences With Cuzco Airport

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I've flown in/out of Cuzco in march this year a few times with Peruvian Airlines, LAN and Star Peru.

It's a small but relative effective airport.

We didn't encounter any serious delays and planes departed at schedule. I had the same fear of cancellations due to the infamously fog of Cuzco, before embarkning on my recent trip to Mexico and Peru.

But everything went like a breeze. But just to be safe, don't book the last departing flight of the day.
Grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M

SRQKEF

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Lax888!

I flew to/from CUZ last year (also on Taca) and thought it was a nice little airport.

The reason for the airport's closing at 3pm every dag is high winds in the valley in the late afternoon.

Also, the approach is awesome - a smaller version of Kai Tak!  

Regards
Sveinn
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

aerorobnz

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 pm

I had four flights to/from CUZ last feb. Not a problem on all three airlines I flew. I took the last TA flight out and it went fine. I had an early connection the following morning which I needed to catch in order to connect with my following 6 flights home.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

lax888
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 am

Quoting Fallap (Reply 1):
We didn't encounter any serious delays and planes departed at schedule. I had the same fear of cancellations due to the infamously fog of Cuzco, before embarkning on my recent trip to Mexico and Peru.

Ok thanks. Hope I will be as lucky as well. But since it is all ticketed under one ticket they should rebook us back to Singapore from there if anything goes wrong and we cannot get out the same day anymore.

Thanks to you all for your help.

WROORD

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I took LAN Peru as they seem to be more on schedule. I agree the approach is fun - have your camera ready.

fallap

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTG9zoisg4k

Here is a video I took upon landing  
Grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M

DesertAir

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:09 am

I flew into Cuzco on a Lloyd Aero Boliviano from La Paz in 1990. While studying at IPA (Instituto Pastorla Andina) I watched planes land and take off. The airport is in a valley. I recall watching Faucett Airlines at that time.