Airstud
Topic Author

Airports You Missed Your Chance To Land At

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 am

As a few of you know, I am very proud of my official "Landed There" list - it only has 50 airports on it, and I frustratingly can't (yet) include Halifax International or Reno-Taco International, for I have taken off from both of those airports but alas not landed there yet.

At any rate, I have landed Montréal Dorval (before it was named after Trudeau), and as proud as I am of this, I used to slap myself in the face for never having landed at Mirabel. I've stopped slapping myself in the face over this because the plain and simple fact is that I never had a real chance to land at Mirabel and it's actually not my fault that the blamed place went all-cargo.

But for those of you who do have Mirabel on your Landed There List, cherish it!!

I think another thing that has eased the pain and shame of missing that one is the fact that I have landed at Denver Stapleton, a feat which I'm sure is bound to frustrate some of the young 'uns on this board who shall never ever make such a claim! 

So, what airports are you kinda bummed won't be on your Landed There List? Which bygone airports do you have that you're proud/fond of?
Pancakes are delicious.

Loran

RE: Airports You Missed Your Chance To Land At

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 pm

My biggest regrets:
1) Kai Tak - it was a few years too early to figure out how much I would slap myself into the face for not having booking a flight into Kai Tak
2) Berlin Tempelhof - also a big regret and a must do for European and particularly German aviation enthusiasts.

On the good side I am glad to have logged the following airports:
1) Bangkok Don Muang International (BKKX or now DMK)
2) Quito Mariscal Sucre (UIO) (16 movements!)
3) Buenos Aires Aeroparque (AEP)
4) Sao Paulo Congonhas (CGH)
5) Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont (SDU)

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 788 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 AN2/3/F/4/6/28/74/40/58 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

airtrainer

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Quoting Loran (Reply 1):
My biggest regrets:
1) Kai Tak - it was a few years too early to figure out how much I would slap myself into the face for not having booking a flight into Kai Tak

That's the only one that came to mind, I have exactly the same feeling   
Life is short : eat dessert first !

dba4u

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Tempelhof! Still attended school back in the day and deemed 90 Euros to much for a *Metroliner* flight from BRE to *THF* ... I'd pay a bloody fortune for an opportunity like that nowadays!

RussianJet

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Kai Tak, Kai Tak and Kai Tak.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Viscount724

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:47 am

Airports I've landed at that no longer have scheduled passenger service, and in the case of the last 4, have long been closed:

Edmonton City Centre (originally Municipal) airport (YXD), the original airport before YEG opened, and the oldest licensed airport in Canada. It's also where I made my very first flight on a Trans-Canada Air Lines Vickers Viscount when I was 8 or 9. It's due to close and the land used for housing and commercial purposes in the next couple of years.

Montreal Mirabel

Singapore Paya Lebar (now used for military purposes only)

Athens Hellinikon

Berlin Tempelhof

Hong Kong Kai Tak

Denver Stapleton

SIA747Megatop

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 am

Meigs Field, Chicago
"I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course." - Lee Kuan Yew

aloges

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 am

I'll limit myself to what would have been feasible at the time, which narrows it down to THF. I did fly from there, once, but never had a chance to land there.

Apart from that, it would have been nice to fly to Kai Tak, but I was only 13 when the airport was closed.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

HT

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 am

So, let's go through the list of airports / airfields that closed to public passengers flights fairly recently :..

München Riem (MUC)   
Hong Kong Kai Tak (HKG)   
Berlin Tempelhof (THF)   
Athens Hellinikon (ATH)   
Agadir Inezgane (GMA - AGA back then)   
Oslo Fornebu (FBU) - nope
Plymouth (PLH) - nope
Lyon-Bron (LYN) - nope
Berlin Tegel (TXL), & Berlin Schönefeld (SXF)    - wait a second. These aren't closed yet ! Hehe ...

Tenerife Norte only received a new IATA designator (TFN) after Tenerife South (TFS) opened. Old IATA-designator TCI still serves as a Metro Area designator for Tenerife Island.

Reopened after closure:
Bangkok Don Muang (BKK then, DMK now)   
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

PlymSpotter

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 8):
Plymouth (PLH) - nope

You'll get another shot at that soon - even if it's only by helicopter to start with.  

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...