chrisnh

Air Canada YUL/YYZ To London

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 pm

I have a business trip coming up to London in October and was thinking of trying Air Canada out of Boston, via either Halifax (767-300) or Montreal (A333). What are the loads like on these routes? Would I have a lighter load from either city?

It's more affordable than BA nonstop, and being a plane nut I thought it would give me some new cities, some new planes, some new routes, and a new airline!

Thank you!

Chris in New Hampshire

yegbey01

RE: Air Canada YUL/YYZ To London

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:46 pm

I think you probably meant to stay YHZ not YYZ.

Usually, AC adjusts capacity (frequencies) during fall/winter to make sure their planes are always full. I would say going through YUL might be more interesting than YHZ (and a better airport in case you get delayed and need an alternate connection to LHR).

brilondon

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Thread starter):
I have a business trip coming up to London in October and was thinking of trying Air Canada out of Boston, via either Halifax (767-300) or Montreal (A333).

I would suggest that if you want variety fly out of one and return though the other. But if you want just one, I would use YUL. You not only get to use a busier airport and better connections but if you get stuck, you would have a better choice of hotels and better chance at getting back to BOS.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

StarAC17

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 2):
I would suggest that if you want variety fly out of one and return though the other. But if you want just one, I would use YUL. You not only get to use a busier airport and better connections but if you get stuck, you would have a better choice of hotels and better chance at getting back to BOS.

If you were considering YYZ as well you could also get a 77W potentially as they operate one to LHR in peak periods and unless its really late October AC should still be operating on summer schedules. Also there are 3-4 flights to LHR from YYZ on AC leaving from 6pm to midnight (excluding the day flight).
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

reifel

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Halifax sounds interesting. Easy to navigate, and the 767 is a very nice and not too big plane. Flew it on FRA-YOW and can recommend it . That said, the A330 is similar, not too big either.

Viscount724

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 4):
Halifax sounds interesting. Easy to navigate, and the 767 is a very nice and not too big plane. Flew it on FRA-YOW and can recommend it . That said, the A330 is similar, not too big either.

If you connect at YHZ to the U.S., you will have to claim your checked bags before going to U.S. customs/immigration pre-clearance. At YUL (also YYZ and YVR) they have a more streamlined process and there's no need to claim your bags. You go directly to U.S. pre-clearance and your bags will be transferred to the next flight.

reifel

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 am

Good Point indeed. I had to do this in YOW (although coming from Europe and not US, but I saw US passengers arriiving there, too). The airport was so small that we were through within minutes and bags were already on the belt. That said, we hat to reclear security. It was not annoying, so if flight timings are significantly better I would recomment YHZ, that said if you get a similar timing for YUL, taking into account what Viscount724 said, YUL would probaby be a wiser choice.

longhauler

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 am

Eastbound YHZ would be the same as either, YYZ, YOW, or YUL. Bags are checked all the way to destination. As V724 correctly states above, YUL and YYZ offer a more streamlined process where bags are not re-checked, unlike YOW and YHZ.

Try YHZ eastbound and either YYZ or YUL westbound.

Another consideration is that either YYZ or YUL, being large AC hubs, offer the most "protection" should irregular ops occur.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!