LAXintl
Topic Author

Epic Fail - Person On Hold With UA For 12-hours!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Reposted per Mod request....

Colorado couple spend 12-hours listening to Rhapsody in Blue while trying to contact United Airlines on Sunday to rebook a cancelled flight.
This follows 3-hour hold on Saturday and inability to rebook online due to website outage and errors.

Couple documented their phone adventure on social media.

video interview
Epic: On Hold for 12 Hours With United Airlines
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/unite...q_9sQp~eLIJURlCwHA.html?cmpid=yhoo

=

With a company allegedly focused on 'customer service', imo its totally unacceptable to have your clients endure such an extreme and embarrassing wait. Add in the failure the website over the weekend which also was not prepared to such levels of irregular operations.

United = not flyer friendly..
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mwhcvt

RE: Epic Fail - Person On Hold With UA For 12-hour

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Errors happen, I once worked in a call centre and the office closed at 10pm for normal calls, some how one customer was still on hold waiting for the CSR when the lines closed this would normally of terminated the call, that person stayed on the call waiting for nearly two hours before hanging up, I was on the night shift so had no access to take that call  
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

kanban

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 pm

the couple doesn't seem top bright either if they spent 12 hrs on hold..

peterinlisbon

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:19 am

Errrm.... I'm still ere....

I thought that the epic fail referred to the passengers who failed to hang up when noone answered. I wonder if the call system said something like "you are now number 12,147 in the queue, your call will be shortly".

reffado

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:33 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 3):
"you are now number 12,147 in the queue, your call will be shortly".

Ha! Good one! But in my experience, most call systems will state a default message if the calculated wait time is more than an established deadline, say, 5 minutes. Companies I know, when such limit is exceeded, just state "You will be transfered *shortly*". But of course shortly can mean anything between 5 minutes and one second to an eternity.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am

Quoting kanban (Reply 2):

the couple doesn't seem top bright either if they spent 12 hrs on hold..

Well in fairness their flight was cancelled. Without reaching UA somehow they were not going anywhere.

Unless you expect these folks to forget their plans and lay low for days possibly, I think it natural to attempt to continue trying to reach United to figure out what their plan B is.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

kanban

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:09 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 5):
Unless you expect these folks to forget their plans and lay low for days possibly, I think it natural to attempt to continue trying to reach United to figure out what their plan B is.

To sit on hold for 12 hours is idiotic regardless of the circumstances. There are other avenues when one line isn't working.

blueflyer

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:32 am

Quoting kanban (Reply 6):
To sit on hold for 12 hours is idiotic regardless of the circumstances.

Maybe this is what you need to do to get a headline... The caller is a Bloomberg News journalist.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

Maverick623

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):

United = not flyer friendly..

Hey, at least they were accepting calls this time. Last time there was a major weather event, they wouldn't even let you go into a holding queue.  

But seriously, none of the airlines are "flyer friendly" (whatever that means) by your standards I guess. We laugh at movies like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles because of how irrational the characters got when their plans get screwed up because of weather... and then we get irrational when it happens to us.

Take a chill pill, understand the limitations of incredibly complicated systems and machines, and deal with it.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 5):

Well in fairness their flight was cancelled. Without reaching UA somehow they were not going anywhere.

I'm fairly certain they could have gone to the airport. If it was too treacherous to drive, then it's sure as hell too treacherous to fly... and it's time to lay low for a couple of days until it passes.

If 12 hours causes you to have a life-altering crisis, you've scheduled yourself too thin.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

AR385

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 am

I don´t get it. If you are put on hold for such a long time, you hang up. Then you call one of the international numbers and will get what you need. The systems are the same. This makes no sense.

airtrainer

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 7):

Maybe this is what you need to do to get a headline... The caller is a Bloomberg News journalist.

What this idiot just proved again is that stupidity really has no limit. But we already knew that   
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Type-Rated

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:23 am

Why don't the airlines get one of those phone systems that says "All agents are currently busy. At the tone please enter your phone number and we will have the next available agent call you back." Now that would be customer service.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!