JoeCattoli
Topic Author

Westwards Italy - New Zealand On Budget

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Dear friends,

I just submitted for a working holiday visa in new zealand after having travelled the country a bit last year, so in a couple of days I'm supposed to book a one-way ticket to the kiwi isles. The community has been of great help many times before so I thought I share a few details of my upcoming plans with my friends here.

My original plan (if it is not ridiculously more expensive than flying east-bound) was to stop in Venezuela and/or Brazil on my way to SCL catching the LAN flight to AKL. Unfortunately their website is not exactly the friendliest I have ever witnessed so I was wandering if you have a bit more clues than me to make possible such an idea.

Possibly the only other possibility is the Aerolineas Argentinas flight to SYD, but I was more keen on the idea to land straight in new zealand from south america.

If the stopovers are too much of a crazy idea even just a stop-over in SCL (or anywhere else in south america) on the way from italy to new zealand could do it for me..

Let's see, thanks to all in advance

Ciao
Joe

debonair

RE: Westwards Italy - New Zealand On Budget

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 pm

What about AZ FCO-EZE, AR EZE-SYD, EK SYD-AKL? you might try this one...

TruemanQLD

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
AR EZE-SYD
Quoting JoeCattoli (Thread starter):
Possibly the only other possibility is the Aerolineas Argentinas flight to SYD, but I was more keen on the idea to land straight in new zealand from south america.

IIRC this service ends soon (April?)

JoeCattoli
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 2):
IIRC this service ends soon

Not very many options to reach down under from south america i see... LAN and AR are ridiculously expensive for my current budget :-/

Ciao
Joe

StarAC17

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Quoting JoeCattoli (Reply 3):
Not very many options to reach down under from south america i see... LAN and AR are ridiculously expensive for my current budget :-/

ETOPS messes this route up because twins can't operate it efficiently and veer off the great circle quite significantly.

IIRC QF operates SCL-SYD (which used to be EZE-SYD) a few days a week. It sounds irritating to transit to AKL from SYD which can be a zoo at times but if you can get a good connection it is only about 3.5 hours across the Tasman.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Quoting JoeCattoli (Reply 3):
Not very many options to reach down under from south america

Correction: there are none! The only affordable way to get from Oceania to LatAm is via North America as prices are much cheaper
Worked Hard, Flew Right

JoeCattoli
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 4):
ETOPS messes this route up because twins can't operate it efficiently and veer off the great circle quite significantly.

Which was one of the main reasons for me.. Fly a quad on one of the only routes where it is actually the better choice. I think EZE-SYD on AR would actually be the closest of the southern routes to antarctica but cannot afford it unfortunately.

As lately I grew to enjoy stopping for a few days enroute my next ideas would be JNB to catch QF's JNB-SYD but didn't check the prices yet or PEK, as i'm more and more keen to visit mainland China (been already in the SARs) and I can imagine it might be one of the cheapest options too..

what would you choose? I'm flying out the 10th of February the latest.

Thanks guys

Ciao
Joe

Gemuser

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 am

I don't know you travel dates or exact requirements but have you considered a OneWorld RTW fare? It's $A4843 from the QF website. If you are only going to be in NZ for a year or less it could be worthwhile or if the fares you are getting are really over the top it MAY be worth while to just ditch the rest of the trip in AKL and get a new ticket when you leave NZ. Be sure to research it carefully as RTW fares can be tricky.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85