NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

Self Gloss: 609,000 Lifetime Miles

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

I know for some on these boards 609,000 miles is barely a hiccup on their mileage statement, maybe even a decimal point error, but for me it's a big deal. A milestone sort of. I'm 60 percent of the way to my self imposed goal of one million lifetime miles before I die.

These miles were flown on via 582 documented and undocumented aircraft, 58 percent of the way towards my lifetime goal of 1000 logged aircraft.

These miles were flown via 200 commercial aircraft subtypes ranging from the Swear-in-them Metro to the A380. When I refer to subtypes, a 737-3H4 is one subtype, a 737-3B7 is another subtype.

In all, I've been to airports in 26 states, one canadian province, every country in western Europe except Iceland and Luxembourg, every country in East Asia except Brunei and Bhutan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Mongolia, a couple of countries in Africa, six of the major persian gulf airports, and four major airports in Australia.

I have yet to get to New Zealand, any of the soviet bloc countries, any of the former soviet republics, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or South America and I have an insane desire to visit every major airport in Africa.

I've flown on the world's best airlines: SQ, CX, JL, TG, EK, QR, EY and the world's worst: CA back when it was the monolithic government operated entity called CAAC and there were tee shirts out there that said "I flew CAAC and survived", the old SY back when they operated second hand 190 seat all coach 727-200s and the ground staff bit people's heads off for asking too many questions or asking the same question too many times. I've flown on all manner of LCCs and Legacy carriers. I've even flown on some airlines that dont exist anymore: BN, EA, NA, TW to name a couple.

I wish I had been able to fly Pan Am just once and I almost flew Tower Air.

Who knows how long it'll take me to achieve my goal of flying to every major airport in the world but I'll enjoy doing it and I'll keep logging the miles even if I dont accrue any status because I like finding low fares and frankly, flying the same airline all the time is boring.

Now, enough of my self promotion and bragadociery.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

02hilliert

RE: Self Gloss: 609,000 Lifetime Miles

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Great post... I think in a world where aviation enthusiasts are considered geeky or unusual, it's only right that you can share your enthusiasm for your "achievements" with likeminded people.

I'm sure we all have goals for our aviation interests... and it's a good thing to share!
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

aerorobnz

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 am

I'm aiming for 1000 flights in my log before the end of 2020. I'm sitting at 291 now. My mileage is only 452,119 miles. I measure in kilometres (727,615km) in which case I should hit 1,000,000km within the next 19 months.

Next goal this year is 100 flown airports (in the 90s now)

Future related goals
100 flown airlines (at 62 now)
50 flown countries
100 visited countries
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Congrats on all your accomplishments and keep those flights and miles growing to reach your goals. I've reached my 1,000,000 mile goal on one airline and that didn't take long at all.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

blueflyer

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:52 am

Considering that most people fly once or twice a year, if that, I think this is a very impressive number still, especially if it pleases you (which is what it is all about after all, isn't it).

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 3):
I've reached my 1,000,000 mile goal on one airline and that didn't take long at all.

I did use that number as a landmark for one of my FF accounts as well and it came faster than expected. Once accomplished, the only goal I used to have was reaching Star Gold as soon as possible. After getting Gold for the next year, I'd book whichever flights fit my needs without regard to mileage or status accumulation and still get something out of it.

For the past three years, though, I have made a concerted effort to get into HON, and failed miserably! That HON doesn't count mileage on code-share flights operated by a partner frustrates me greatly. I do not like having to choose between flying Singapore metal on a Lufthansa ticket or earning HON miles!
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.