McLarenF1
Topic Author

What Makes A Good Trip Report?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 pm

What things do you like reading/value in a trip report?

Detailed question:
In just a few days, I'm going to embark on my first "meaningful" flight which is BA92 from YYZ-LHR on board the 788 in WT+. I am planning on writing my first trip report on this flight but I'm not sure as to what to put in it. I've read many different trip reports from many different people and they all seem to contain different things. It would be great to know what you like to see in trip reports so I can make mine as enjoyable and helpful as possible.

Thanks!

Michael

(I did find one thread similar to this one but it only had 2 replies and was archived)

PacNWjet

RE: What Makes A Good Trip Report?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 pm

What I like most in trip reports are photos of the destination. Pictures of the airport, aircraft (exterior and cabin shots), meals, seatback contents, etc. are fine, but what really makes a trip report come to life are photos of the locations where the trip was taken (that can include at origin as well).

As far as text is concerned, I enjoy reading observations about service provided by airline personnel on the ground and in the air. It can also be entertaining to read about the behavior of other passengers, especially when it is out of the ordinary.

It is also useful to learn a little something about the purpose of the trip as it is relevant to the trip report.

Finally, I like details about the airline, aircraft type, time of day of flights, etc. There are some lengthy trip reports posted at Airliners that involve multiple stages. Sometimes the trip report is so long you have to scroll back to the top to be reminded about all the various legs of the trip. Captions on photos help situate trip stages within the overall trip report.

McLarenF1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks PacNWjet. That was a very helpful response. I've noticed that a lot of people write trip reports in multiple "replies". Is there any specific reason for this?

Tigerguy

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Quoting McLarenF1 (Reply 2):
I've noticed that a lot of people write trip reports in multiple "replies". Is there any specific reason for this?

There are a couple of principal reasons. One is to provide a natural break in the report if the writer wants to keep certain parts together. The other is that if you put too much in one post, some of it will be cut off when you hit "submit."
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

PacNWjet

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:38 pm

I've noticed that a lot of people write trip reports in multiple "replies". Is there any specific reason for this?

I think it has to do with the large amount of data taken up by photos. Uploading a long trip report with lots of photos in a single posting probably requires a large amount of bandwidth and could take quite a long time to upload. That's my guess.

McLarenF1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 pm

That explains it. I never knew there was a text limit. Thanks to both of you.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:52 am

Beyond what was said above, another aspect could be referred to as "writer laziness". For long trips involving multiple flights they can take hours and hours to sort through the photos, write the text etc. Given that the writer does have a life as well, it can make it much more convenient to write it in several stages over multiple days.

A problem I have with my pathetic internet at home is that even if the report is shorter than the A-net cut-off, I have trouble loading reports that contain hundreds of photos. Therefore splitting reports up is a major help!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

McLarenF1
Topic Author

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:25 am

I'll keep that last point in mind RyanairGuru. I've got pretty bad internet as well.