DocLightning
Topic Author

AF's Premium Y...experiences?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Going to be taking AF's premium-Y on their A343 and A388 this summer DTW-CDG and CDG-SFO, respectively.

Anyone taken AF's premium-Y? How was it?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mad99

RE: AF's Premium Y...experiences?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 am

I get upgraded to y+ a lot and it does make a difference. I think you get access to lounges and they let you board early as if you're elite, for whatever that's worth.

On return flights (night time) you get more room so sleeping is easier.

I like to sit next to the window and rest against it but on the 380 that's not possible due to the big fuselage diameter, the window is too far away. Not that you're asking!

I'm 6' tall so a little more room makes the difference

whiskeyhotel

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:51 pm

It is my least favorite of any premium economy product (including E+ type products that the U.S. based carriers offer). The seat is a hard shell and doesn't actually recline. The seat padding (really thin, by the way, and about as comfortable as slimline Y offerings) slides down into the seatpan to simulate recline. I tried it out on CDG-IAH, and vowed never to fly it again after doing so. Even a daytime flight in that product had me itching to be off the plane by the time we landed.

If flying to Europe in premium economy, I'd much rather fly BA. Their new WTP product is simply excellent, and even the old WTP is leaps and bounds better than AF in terms of seat comfort.

mad99

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 am

Quoting whiskeyhotel (Reply 2):
It is my least favorite of any premium economy product

sorry i got confused...

Los Ángeles, International Airport (LAX), Estados Unidos AF072 (Boeing 777-200)

i was upgraded on this flight and your right the y+ has the seats that slide forward at the base and do not recline.

dc9northwest

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:49 am

I've flown in Y+ on the A380. It's better than Y, and I would pay a bit extra for it, but the difference is not huge. You get the same soft product, but more room... I'll try to pull up my trip report when I get home if you're interested...

shamrock604

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Quoting whiskeyhotel (Reply 2):
It is my least favorite of any premium economy product (including E+ type products that the U.S. based carriers offer). The seat is a hard shell and doesn't actually recline. The seat padding (really thin, by the way, and about as comfortable as slimline Y offerings) slides down into the seatpan to simulate recline. I tried it out on CDG-IAH, and vowed never to fly it again after doing so. Even a daytime flight in that product had me itching to be off the plane by the time we landed.

Would agree with this - it's great for a day flight, or one where sleep isnt on your agenda - but for an overnight flight, forget it. I was actually more comfortable back in Y in a middle seat on the 773 (10 abreast) than I was on the return in Y+.

But it was very comfortable and spacious for dining, watching a movie etc

usdcaguy

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I'd say the AF Y+ product is really quite nice. Being in a separate cabin with a huge AVOD screen, having an ability to recline and the 7 abreast seating makes the trip very comfortable. Pricing, however, may be too high to be worth it for leisure travelers. If the roundtrip ticket is $3k plus, business class would be a better option if tickets were available at $1.5k more.