bpat777
Topic Author

US #2073 7/2/14 IAH-BDL Nonstop

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 pm

This flight operates IAH-PHL-BDL however yesterday 7/2/14 it flew nonstop IAH-BDL. What happens with the passengers in this type of situation who I'm sure most were to deplane at PHL. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...3/history/20140702/1955Z/KIAH/KBDL

hufftheweevil

RE: US #2073 7/2/14 IAH-BDL Nonstop

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 am

Quoting bpat777 (Thread starter):
What happens with the passengers in this type of situation who I'm sure most were to deplane at PHL.

Re-accommodated to PHL, I'm sure. However, it appears this was planned before it departed (FlightAware doesn't report is as a diversion). So any passengers not continuing on may have opted to stay in IAH and be re-acommodated from there. Just a guess, though.
Huff

D L X

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:47 am

They've been doing this a lot lately when bad weather screws up a hub. I think I really like it: the people who were trying to get to Philly yesterday simply weren't going to get there with the crazy thunderstorms they had. Passengers needing to get to Philly were going to therefore need to be reconfirmed on other flights anyway.

The plane needs to be in Connecticut to continue flying its planned circuit, and at least some portion of those passengers needed to be in Connecticut, so go ahead and fly the plane straight there.

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:29 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
They've been doing this a lot lately when bad weather screws up a hub. I think I really like it: the people who were trying to get to Philly yesterday simply weren't going to get there with the crazy thunderstorms they had. Passengers needing to get to Philly were going to therefore need to be reconfirmed on other flights anyway.

The plane needs to be in Connecticut to continue flying its planned circuit, and at least some portion of those passengers needed to be in Connecticut, so go ahead and fly the plane straight there.

Indeed. Yesterday I saw an E-175 take off from Providence to go to Indianapolis, instead of going there via Philadelphia. I have always wondering that, if there are passengers booked on the flight for it's entire routing, do they just get to board the flight as usual and fly there?
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

hufftheweevil

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:39 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 3):
I have always wondering that, if there are passengers booked on the flight for it's entire routing, do they just get to board the flight as usual and fly there?

Of course. It would be a poor decision not to let them board. Why spend money to re-accommodate them in a hotel, on another airline, or using rev seats on a different flight? It's not like the direct flight is not allowed to have passengers. (Unless, of course, the direct routing being done because of some MEL that requires no passengers to be on board, and the aircraft is being ferried for maintenance.)
Huff

zrs70

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 am

I do wonder how many people who boarded in IAH were actually going to BDL.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Three times this month I've noticed a US PWM-PHL-JAX flight fly PWM-JAX non-stop, without showing a diversion. I've also had the same question as the OP. I tend to think these kind of flight changes are probably announced to the passengers before boarding, so it's their choice? Also thinking, maybe these are operated when there's more passengers on board ticketed to the final destination than the those making connections? Also, I assume some of these flights are flown just for aircraft positioning? Especially when it's a late flight that's going to RON in the final destination?