N104UA
Topic Author

DL Paid Upgrade At Check-In

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:36 am

I usually fly UA and have noticed that when I check in, if F seats are available, they usually give me the option to upgrade to F for ~$150-$200 no matter what fare class I book (I think they figure to get that money than put a Premier there for free).

I am flying DL (SFO-DTW) here in a few weeks, does DL offer paid upgrades at check-in like UA does or do you have to be in a certain fare class?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

einsteinboricua

RE: DL Paid Upgrade At Check-In

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 am

Quoting N104UA (Thread starter):
I am flying DL (SFO-DTW) here in a few weeks, does DL offer paid upgrades at check-in like UA does or do you have to be in a certain fare class?

I think you have to be in a certain class to be eligible to pay for your upgrade. Last week I wanted to upgrade SFO-MSP and their screens mentioned which classes could be placed on standby for an upgrade (unfortunately, reward travel is not eligible for it). So even with the eligible class, you're still not guaranteed an upgrade until it happens.

[Edited 2014-07-11 04:55:02]
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

PI4EVER

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 pm

DL has offered on rare occasion a paid upgrade. I saw it offered once this year in PHL on a flight to ATL where they had substituted a larger aircraft at the last minute. Segment would have cost $75. Most upgrades are processed by Medallion Elite status in advance and right up to departure at the gate. No status, no upgrade and likely on a route like SFO-DTW the elites will likely get any seats available at departure. You build status on DL and they take care of you, but otherwise you have to pay to ride up front.
watch what you want. you may get it.

A333MSPtoAMS

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 pm

I flew MSP-LHR back in April and on the outbound flight they were offering me a paid upgrade for $450. I didn't have the extra money lying around at that time so I didn't take the upgrade, which was fine as I was sitting in EC. I'm flying again in 2 months to AMS and then again end of November back to LHR... I am prepared for the possibility. Maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't...
As of Jul 2016 I've flown 192 flights on 43 airplane types with 41 airlines traveling thru 85 airports in 37 countries. I've visited 50 countries with 1 more unique one this year. My greatest achievement was climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Oct 2015.

redzeppelin

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 am

DL will sell domestic upgrades at the gate if and when there aren't enough Medallions on board to upgrade for free. Which is rare on most routes, but can happen occasionally during off-peak flight times. I fly DL several segments each month, and I last saw upgrades for sale on a late-morning midweek OAK-SLC flight about 3 months ago (IIRC). Prior to that, the last time I remember upgrades for sale was in 2012--on a CR9 (F heavy config!) scheduled to arrive in CVG after midnight.
Even then, you can't buy an upgrade unless your ticket was booked in one of the higher fare classes (Y,B,M,S,H, etc.).