Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Trimeresurus
Topic Author

Can pilots talk to the ground crew via radio?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:35 am

Like with a walkie talkie or a similar wireless device. It would be more convenient than the cable headphone thing that's connected to the front of the aircraft(not sure what it's called), since the ground crewman would be able to inform the pilot from a point of view other than the nose gear. Also I think it would be safer since he wouldn't have to get so close to the A/C.

Regards

skyhawkmatthew

Re: Can pilots talk to the ground crew via radio?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

Wireless headsets do exist, but don't appear to be widely used. They are used in some domestic operations in Australia, at least.

Tristarsteve

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes. I had a walkie talkie airband radio and talked to the pilots with it. But as an airline we only had one frequency to use, but as we usually only had one aircraft on the ground it worked OK. I used it when I performed deicing release at remote stands. I could sit in the van and release the aircraft. It was also useful for flight control checks when the indicator was inop under the MEL. But we never used it for pushback.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm

I have seen wireless sets in use in Copenhagen. They plug a device/antenna into the aircraft's external headset plug, and it transmits to the headset. Never seen it anywhere else.

longhauler

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 pm

VSMUT wrote:
I have seen wireless sets in use in Copenhagen. They plug a device/antenna into the aircraft's external headset plug, and it transmits to the headset. Never seen it anywhere else.

We tried those about 5 years ago. We no longer use them as there was always tooo much static interference. I am guessing, mostly from the tug as the frequency of the static changed with tug engine rpm.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:14 pm

longhauler wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

We tried those about 5 years ago. We no longer use them as there was always tooo much static interference. I am guessing, mostly from the tug as the frequency of the static changed with tug engine rpm.

We, where in the world would that be? The static interference issue doesn't surprise me though, just forgetting to switch your phone to flight-mode can cause interference in a normal headset in the cockpit.

In Copenhagen however, I saw them in use just 2-3 months ago.

At the airports where I fly, ground crew rarely plugs anything into our aircraft, we just communicate by hand-signals. I think I experienced someone do it once somewhere in Switzerland, and thats it.

longhauler

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:21 pm

VSMUT wrote:
We, where in the world would that be? The static interference issue doesn't surprise me though, just forgetting to switch your phone to flight-mode can cause interference in a normal headset in the cockpit.

It was a trial at YYZ, YUL and YVR. About 50% of the time the ground crew just gave up and used the old headsets.

We use handsignals as a backup, and both cockpit and ground crew are required to know them. As well as the slightly different ones used by Emergency Response crews. However, SOPs where I fly require discussion between the Captain and the Lead of the ground crew before pushback if MEL restrictions require their use.

Web500sjc

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

RDU uses a Bluetooth headset...

mmo

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Trimeresurus wrote:
Like with a walkie talkie or a similar wireless device. It would be more convenient than the cable headphone thing that's connected to the front of the aircraft(not sure what it's called), since the ground crewman would be able to inform the pilot from a point of view other than the nose gear. Also I think it would be safer since he wouldn't have to get so close to the A/C.

Regards

I guess I have to ask what makes you think the point of view is limited to the nose gear? You do realize there are cords that are long enough to see any part of the aircraft! The ground crewman is not glued to the nose gear.

Apprentice

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 am

Hi:
Some 8 years ago we received a Set to be use w/ one company only. It was uncomfortable and heavy.
All of Us preferred Classic HS, with Spring Type cord. On top of that, it was expensive. so we have to look for it.
It was nice when We were allowed to return to normal HS.

Rgds

parmelbe

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:19 am

We use these:
http://www.flightcom.net/products/comme ... ss-system/

Excellent product, in my experience.

Balerit

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

For general comms they can contact engineering using the radio but everyone can hear the conversation.

It's not practical for pushback, as there is only one engineering frequency and you would have multiple interruptions. The reason for someone on a headset during pushback is to monitor engine start (N1 turning, hung start, hot start or tailpipe fire etc.) and secondly to disconnect the towbar and ensure that the steering pin is removed. As an aside, we had a captain who always said pull your wire and come on the left as his farewell. :)