JackRoy02
Topic Author

Will the U.K open its doors to foreign pilots after Brexit?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I am a Canadian who would love to fly in Europe/UK someday. As a Canadian I have access to the Youth Mobility VISA which gives me the right to live and work in the UK for 2 years and it does not require job sponsorship to obtain it. Hopefully this visa will be my route in to flying smaller planes with small company’s to the European airlines. My main question though is since currently the UK airlines have heaps of European pilots flying for them, when they leave the EU Will they start hiring only UK citizens? Are there enough homegrown pilots for this? Or will they hire pilots from other countries outside of the EU?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Jack

JAmie2k9

Re: Will the U.K open it’s doors to foreign pilots after Brexit?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Of course they will hire foreign pilots...and probably the majority of immigrants who wish to work there!

VSMUT

Re: Will the U.K open its doors to foreign pilots after Brexit?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 pm

JackRoy02 wrote:
I am a Canadian who would love to fly in Europe/UK someday. As a Canadian I have access to the Youth Mobility VISA which gives me the right to live and work in the UK for 2 years and it does not require job sponsorship to obtain it. Hopefully this visa will be my route in to flying smaller planes with small company’s to the European airlines. My main question though is since currently the UK airlines have heaps of European pilots flying for them, when they leave the EU Will they start hiring only UK citizens? Are there enough homegrown pilots for this? Or will they hire pilots from other countries outside of the EU?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Jack

One of two things will happen.

1. Soft Brexit: EU pilots will keep working in the UK.

2. Hard Brexit: EU pilots won't be permitted to work in the UK, but the British aviation sector will also suffer so much that they will probably go into recession, and aren't going to be in a hurry to hire any new pilots for a long while, much less Canadian ones. There are also heaps of British pilots flying all over the EU, and they will probably be first in line to get the few available jobs in the hard-brexit UK. It is at the current moment uncertain if British EASA licenses or medicals will even be valid outside the UK after they leave.

I don't really see how a youth visa for the UK is going to help you though. Is it valid for working in other EU countries? There's hardly any operators of small planes either, apart from flying schools. Many regional operators, despite being British, operate on behalf of airlines in the rest of the EU, with bases (and visa requirements) in other EU countries and they often have local language requirements too.

Sorry to say it, but the EU jobs market of 2017 just isn't in a very welcoming position to non-EU citizens (or EU citizens for that matter). Even if you could bring experience with you it would be very difficult.

XAM2175

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Way before considering Brexit is the fact that your visa (it's not an acronym or initialism, by the way, so no capitalisation) is specifically designed to not let you do what you're planning to do - that is; it's not extensible and, like all other UK employment visas, it's not valid for any other EU country.

So sure, you can use it to live in the UK, and get a job in the UK, but at the end of the two years you'll be resigning that job and heading home unless the company you're working for likes you so much they're willing to sponsor you to stay, and even then you'll have to leave the UK to apply for the sponsored work visa because not only can the Tier 5 YMS visa not be extended, it can't be converted either.

Then, as VSMUT says, the concept of starting out at tiny trash-haul airlines and working your way up doesn't really apply anywhere in Europe because there's no real need for them. Cadetship is by far and away the most common route into the cockpit and the unfortunate reality for you is that the vast majority of those cadets have British passports and can therefore, in these pre-Brexit times, be shipped all over the EU to whatever base management wants them at. Post-Brexit is of course a bit more uncertain but even if all the EU-national pilots currently working in the UK lose their right to stay and get shipped home, all the UK-national pilots working in the EU will get shipped home too.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but there's no point in being naive about it and getting burnt. If you already had an ATPL and left-seat experience then it would be a different picture, maybe, but not to start from scratch.

zeke

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 am

Converting a Canadian licence to UK has never been a trivial matter. The study and exams is very different to SAMRA / INRAT
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News