Semaex

Re: Airline Dispatchers

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
In Europe, there aren't dispatchers per se (they don't have the same legal authority on a flight), but are called Flight Commanders who do many of the same pre-flight functions as dispatch.

We don't have the same legal responsibilities as our US colleagues, that is true. But other than that, we share the same exact profession and all involved with it.
The correct term is "Flight Operations Officer" as per EASA FCL.
In many smaller companies you will however find dispatchers without a license (but with regular training as per SCM necessities). These guys are just called "(Flight) Dispatchers".

Brgds,
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast if you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

WheelsUpCLT

Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Folks, I'm new here and, like Cadet posted earlier, preparing to start DX training. Leaning heavily towards IFOD down at DFW. My previous aviation experience encompasses 4 years of ramp work with Piedmont here in CLT, during their heyday mid 80's. I should never have left because I love aviation.

Now, 55 years old, and tired of the path I've been on the last 15 years, I want to start over and do something I believe I will enjoy and finish my working life doing.

My question is: Am I too late(too old)!? Feel free to chime in any way you please. I'm not thin-skinned and seek honest feedback, no matter the outcome.

Woodreau

Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Personally I don’t think you’re too old

I don’t know how the career progression works as aircraft dispatchers. I.e do you have to work for smaller air carriers first before “moving on” to a larger carrier?

The entire airline industry is seniority based so the issue with older people is depending on how fast the seniority list moves is you always start at the bottom meaning you get to work the third shift weekends holidays until your seniority allows to you not work the less desirable times

You start back over every time you get hired at a new air carrier. The question becomes a personal one - balancing the trade offs of one carrier over another one.

So at a regional airline for example your seniority will probably move a lot quicker as dispatchers look to move up to a larger carrier. But seniority movement at a major airline like Delta or American probably not as people tend to stay there until they retire.

So at 55 your opportunities to restart at the bottom of a seniority list multiple times looking for the destination carrier is not desired.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

WheelsUpCLT

Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 pm

I agree with what you said about the seniority thing and various carriers. My goal is to simply work for a local charter or freight carrier. Need to stay in or around CLT, possibly relo to GSO.

MoKa777

Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 am

WheelsUpCLT wrote:
Folks, I'm new here and, like Cadet posted earlier, preparing to start DX training. Leaning heavily towards IFOD down at DFW. My previous aviation experience encompasses 4 years of ramp work with Piedmont here in CLT, during their heyday mid 80's. I should never have left because I love aviation.

Now, 55 years old, and tired of the path I've been on the last 15 years, I want to start over and do something I believe I will enjoy and finish my working life doing.

My question is: Am I too late(too old)!? Feel free to chime in any way you please. I'm not thin-skinned and seek honest feedback, no matter the outcome.

I admire your willingness to pursue something you are passionate about regardless of your age. Good luck and I hope you are successful.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.